06

SHE HOPED her father was right all along

Tuva held her breath too as she stepped to the foyer. The red carpet swept into view, pulling the fragile seams of the manor's floor with its design of melodic whirls. It was heavy, polished from the decades from its usage. She imagined how fragile it became, unfit to the prying eyes and restless souls. Though she never toyed with the idea of seeing herself in the middle of her ordeal.

Werner led them further into the foyer, heading to the old wing. Once she settled comfortably at the leather chesterfield, Werner turned to face her, expressing a smile as always. She cleared her throat, motioning him to sit as well and he did.

Alone in the room with the exception of Viktor standing as her witness, she curled her fingers slightly, scratching the side of her arm. The old clock perched at the corner, ticking.

"You put on quite an entrance, I must say." Werner said, searching her eyes in hopes to steal some secrets from her.

"I learned from the best," she proclaimed. "But it's alarming you still haven't learned."

"Learned what? I assure you, I know my actions, my undoing, and I still stand beside it. My city has suffered enough long before the ironskin came to tarnish it. Are the lives of my brothers and sisters not enough to appease them? The empire?" Werner shook his head with disbelief.

"You have to understand the war is only a bullet away from declaring a victor, he cannot let a few minor scratches maimed the side of the country."

Werner leaned forward, propping his arms across his lap as his eyes spoke to her calmly. "How long do you think the war will last? A couple more years? I think you underestimate how precious war is to the empire."

"My father signed a truce with Myrgenbsen, isn't that enough to lay the groundwork for a treaty?"

"As long as there are countries, perhaps a world out there, Zeimrada will find a way to make strife. But I like to think the emperor thought of you when he signed the truce."

She steadied a breath, clearing her mind. It was a test, and Werner inspected her closely. He must be a fool if he thinks about bringing the topic to light solely because I'm a Myrgenvai.

Instead she pushed her mouth to smile. "Who do you believe now?"

Without losing his composure, he complied with a tilt of his chin, a gentle notion as his eyes sparked with great interest.

Tearing down his boredom, he said, "Funny how you ask about my beliefs when I'm so close to meeting the doors of death. Tell me, how do you think I would die?"

"Werner," She pressed her lips together creating a soft hiss.

He remained passive, looking at her sternly as if he was waiting.

Tuva pressed her lips in a thin line, her body stilled as silence circled around her.

"Escherich, I think this conversation would best fit for Werner and I." Tuva turned to Viktor, her fingers curled into her palms. "Joasia, you as well."