04

HAGENSELM WAS only a fold and memory away as the world seemed to plunge in a fiery canvas, a brushstroke of red and orange

HAGENSELM WAS only a fold and memory away as the world seemed to plunge in a fiery canvas, a brushstroke of red and orange. Like the eyes of the hunger god staring, it evoked something inside her. Although she could not point the direction to it, she felt the god followed her, not far off from the line of soldiers.

They emerged into Porta Negnslica, one of the five mouths of Keichsfaer and it greeted her with a yawn. It was the only road that was wide, spacious enough for them, accompanied by several curious merchants as a few of Viktor's soldiers ushered them to the side. Like any unwanted life, she was met with ripples of suspicion, she could feel their hostile, burning tongues bore into her.

To her, Keichsfaer acted no different than Hagenselm. But with time, Keichsfaer became violent, baring its teeth in defiance, it was no longer a humble thing, and everyone knew the Basczeri corrupted the city within. They filled the city with ironskin, some believed, almost to the point where there were more slums and sickness tainting the ground.

The wind was faint at this time, cut loose around the alleyways as it brushed her hair, its stench from the littered streets filled her nose. She turned away in disgust.

She could see them clearly as the city unfolded in front of her. She could see a young man huddling close to a newborn, his hands clipped in dirt and grime, rocking back and forth. Hunger seemed to wrap itself too around his face, his cheekbones sharpened in pain. He was humming something. A woman hobbled by, coming toward her, pulling on a wagon. Corpses, Tuva soon noticed them, victims from the ironskin with their faces discolored, rotten in silver marks.

Heading further into the inner parts of the city, the eastern slums stretched into a finer road and houses cluttered evenly in rows, leading them to the red bricks of the stone bridge arched above the Mauestrag Canal.

The city guards, each stationed near the Zhosmori Bridge, would make their rounds there. She heard chatters from merchants before they set foot into the district. Occasionally, she saw quite a few imperial soldiers crossing the streets.

But Viktor only had to reveal the noble crest under his coat, a fascination from his tongue, that they were allowed in without burden. She could hear the merchants' whispers combed into her ears, their gazes that drew onto Viktor. Eyes darted from the corners of the buildings as they went by, murmurs spoke of the death speaker trespassing the land of the hunger god.

After crossing the bridge, they eventually found Arbor's Quarter, a district with its gold-painted square.

Suddenly, she felt the lull of the carriage come to a halt. Tuva gently held Joasia to stop her from falling over to her lap.

"Escherich?" Tuva asked, noticing Viktor stopping beside the carriage. She leaned closer to the window, trying to catch a glimpse outside.

"We have guests," Viktor put lightly and Tuva frowned.