Chapter twenty eight

My jaw wont close. I sit in bed gaping at a man who I thought I would never see again. Rylan.

"Come on! We have to get you out of here!" He whisper-screams to me, beckoning his arm for me to follow. Then his head disappears from the window. 

I sit there for a few seconds, staring at the open window. Finally my arms move. I throw off the fluffy comforter and my feet hit the ground. This is it. I am finally leaving. I turn in a small circle around my bedroom, as if waving goodbye. 

Goodbye to being a prisoner in a place I don't belong. My time has finally come to leave this all behind. To leave Zane behind.

To never see him again. 

I squeeze out of the window and Rylan's hands grab my hips, steadying me on the way to the ground. 

I feel the muddy grass squish between my toes. I forgot shoes. 

We run across the yard. My heart is pounding. 

We are going to get caught. 

Motion detecting lights go off, lighting us up like deer in headlights. I freeze. Should I just go back now and plead for his forgiveness? My every escape attempt has failed. Who says this one will be successful? 

Rylan grabs my hand, yanking me with him. We keep running. 

My heart thunders with the rain that pours on us. 

We are going to get caught. 

My legs have never run so fast, swiping along the ground like lightning. I am a cheetah running as fast as I can. 

Finally I see a white SUV with blacked out windows. I recognize it. It belongs to The Guard. 

I look behind me to see if anyone is following us, my lungs burn. Nobody is there. Not even a single guard. 

The door to the SUV swings open and I jump in head first. As soon as Rylan gets in the back seat with me the driver floors it. Gravel from the driveway is sent into the sky as we accelerate. 

Just like that I am free. Just like that, I escape without being caught. 

I stare out the window and watch the dark trees pass me by at super fast speeds. Cole did this. Cole set me free. 

I finally let out a deep sight, putting my hand over my heart to feel its beat studying to a normal pulse. 

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" I hear Rylan question me.

I only give him a small nod as my eyes stay trained on the window outside. I made it. But something feels off. The further away we drive, the more anxiety builds within me. I feel a pull, wanting me to go back. 

Am I that scared of him? So scared that I feel I cannot leave? No, it can't be that. 

But part of me wants to go back. 

Rylan finally gives me time to breathe as I lay my head on the car window. The bumpy road makes it uncomfortable but somehow I find sleep. 

I dream of him. 

If I didn't leave. In my dream we had breakfast. The table was lined with luxurious foods. He used a finger to rub whipped cream on my nose. I fed him a strawberry.

Then we kissed. 

I wake up abruptly, sunlight blinding me as soon as I open my eyes. 

Just as the tahoe pulls into the driveway to The Guard's prison. My home. It's as if nothing has changed. It is still guarded by large fencing with the same swirling barbed wire around the top.