Write First Draft

(I might spend some time imagining things, particularly different ideas for the start of the story. At least a bit into the first few paragraphs before writing.)

Chapter 1

Jack in the Box

Oct 31st 2101

On the bridge of the science vessel Euclidean, the helmsman looked back over his shoulder. "Captain Schreiber, there's something lifepod size on an intersecting path."

"No one but us where assigned to this sector. Hail it. See if we get a response," said Schreiber.

A few minutes later the helmsman focused on his console. "No response, Sir."

"Maybe they can't respond... Hopefully not dead."

"Autopilot AI would still respond Sir."

"Well no way it just happens to be on course to cross our path. Alter our direction a bit."

After a few minutes the helmsman looked back at Schreiber. "It did alter course. It will still intercept us in a few minutes Sir."

"Understood. Maintain."

The chief mate to Schreiber's right stood up. "Not much we can do about it anyway."

Schreiber glanced up at his chief mate. "No there isn't. Though I'm curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat." The chief mate walked to a thick metal door, it split in half on sliding open.

Stopping the Euclidean, the helmsman stared out the ships large front window.

Schreiber stood and walked past the helmsman. In a blink the object was right in front of them, a few feet from the glass. They both stared at it.

"That ain't no human lifepod."

"What should we do?"

"Hopefully it'll stay put. Back off a little and turn around. We'll scoop it up in the docking bay."

"Yes, Sir."

The chief mate came onto the bridge carrying a gun. "Oh no. That's not a life pod."

Schreiber tapped an icon on a screen wrapped around his forearm. " Linn, meet us at the docking bay. Do not enter."

A reply came back. "Um, sure. What's up?"

The chief mate interrupted. "No way. We don't know if that's a bomb. I don't know what other crap the science crews are messing with out here. But that doesn't look man made."

"Oh," said Linn through the com. "Sounds interesting."

Schreiber put his hand on the chief mate's should. "Come on. There's no way I'm passing up the chance to be among the first humans to identify intelligent alien life. It could simply be a probe sent out from some far off planet."

The first mate hurried off the bridge. "We don't know that. Could be a lifepod like we thought. Just not our kind."

Following, Schreiber caught up to the first mate at the doors to the docking bay waiting with Linn.

The first mate held up the gun. "K. Open it."

Looking at Schreiber, Linn hesitated.

Schreiber nodded. "Let's be careful, but don't make a mess of things. Try not to shoot first."

Linn pushed a button on the panel next to the extra wide docking bay entrance.

With a hiss, the door opened. The alien sphere sat unmoving near the middle of the wide docking bay floor. Five motor cycles lined up on one side of the bay and two huge mechs stood on the other side.

All three entered, eyeing the wavy, black and silver sphere with green light coming from its jagged lines.

Linn picked up a device and approached it, scanning it. "No detectable radiations."

Clenching his gun, the chief mate moved it up a little then aimed it back down at the floor. "Shouldn't you have figured that out before we opened the door?"

"The ships alarms would have sounded once it got close to us if it detected harmful levels," said Linn.

Contemplating what the alien device might be, Schreiber leaned close looking at it. Some of the glowing green lines formed a jagged circle. Schreiber stood up, staring at the change. The device lashed out a section like liquid metal. It wrapped around Schreiber's head.

The first mate fired at the device.

Linn yelled. "No! Stop shooting."

Schreiber grabbed at his head, pulled and twisted frantically to break free.

"It's hurting him, look at him," said the first mate.

"Like you, reacting is what he's doing. We do not know what it is doing or what shooting it will do."

The alien device released Schreiber and it turned back to the way it was. Gasping, Schreiber stumbled back and fell, sitting hard on the metal floor. The first mate grabbed the back of his shirt and dragged him out of the docking bay with Linn hurrying along after them.

Hitting the button to close the door hard, the first mate let go of Schreiber.

Linn scanned Schreiber as he got up. "Can you walk to the med bay?"

"Yeah, yeah sure." Holding his head, Schreiber stumbled forward.

Grabbing his arm, Linn helped him along.

"I'm ok now. I feel fine, catching my breath."