Chapter 1: Heartbeat

"Mia! Can you please come down here!"

I quickly put down my paint brush and walk downstairs to the kitchen.

"Do you think you could come quickly to the market with Blake and I? I forgot to get milk for Blake and you know how he is without his milk before bed." Jenna sighs.

I smile, "Of course Jenna! I just have to get dressed."

"Thank you."

I smile, and then head upstairs. Jenna is my foster mom. I've been with them for 2 years now. My foster dad is Ricky. He's super nice just like Jenna. Then, there is Blake. He's their 4 year old son, and my foster brother. I love them all so much just like they are my own family. I have yet to call them mom and dad, but I'll get their someday.

Once I reach my room, I go into my closet and find an outfit. I always go shopping with Jenna since I don't have any friends. I don't really understand why. I'm super nice and friendly, but people call me weird. Sometimes it makes me feel bad about myself...

Anyway, off the sad topic, after 10 minutes I found the perfect outfit. I chose a white, long sleeve, off the shoulder shirt with a velvet material mid thigh length dress.

 I chose a white, long sleeve, off the shoulder shirt with a velvet material mid thigh length dress

Once I got dressed I head downstairs,

"Im ready!"
- - -
During the car ride, I sat in the back with Blake playing with his Paw Patrol characters with him. Blake loves Paw Patrol! Sometimes I'll watch it with him, but I prefer Disney channel. According to Jenna and Ricky, Paw Patrol was Blake's first words too!

After about a 5 minute car ride, we arrive at the store. We all get out of the car and Jenna takes out Blake.

"Ok remember the rules Mia. Make sure you hold my hand or stay close to me. We don't want anything happening."

You may be wondering what Jenna is talking about...

I have a disorder called DPD. It's a disorder where I'm dependent on those who I am close to. It's not a terrible thing to have, but sometimes things are hard. I just don't like being alone and I don't have much confidence in myself either. When my parents died I was really affected. I didn't know how to move on from them. I had a feeling of helplessness. It was even worse in the group home.