Epilogue

'Cora! Are you ready to go?'

Pivoting on my heel, I spot one of Seth's sisters, Olivia, leaning against the doorframe with a mix of impatience and excitement dancing across the lines on her face.

'Yeah, give me a second,' I nod, turning back to check my appearance one last time in the mirror. Satisfied with the way my make-up looks, I push one of my corkscrew curls back from my face and smile brightly in the mirror at myself.

It's Thanksgiving and I'm at Seth's parents' house just outside of Toronto for the, like, two days he's managed to get off work. Even then, he hasn't really managed to get it off, because we're off to watch his game tonight.

We've been together for a year and a half now, and I've visited Toronto with him quite a few times, but we've never coordinated it with one of his games before. I can see why, because he hardly has time to breathe between arriving, playing the game and leaving again. The good thing about it being Thanksgiving weekend, is that he's allowed to stay for a bit longer so that we can actually seehis family.

Of course, it's not Thanksgiving here in Canada, but given that Seth's actually made it back here – because the business of the season makes his appearances here rather sparse – we're going to celebrate, anyway.

For Canadian Thanksgiving, last month, Seth came over to my place and we had a mini celebration, just the two of us. I even cooked us separate meals, so he could eat some meat, because I'm a great girlfriend, obviously.

He's not turned vegetarian, but mostly when we eat together, he'll have whatever I'm having. He's explained to me many times that meat is a good way for him to get protein and he needs all of that he can get, while he's still playing professionally. Then, he'll mollify me with his charming grin and tell me that maybe he'll reconsider once he's retired and we've got a few children to think of, too.

We haven't even moved in together yet, so I think it's still a way off, but I completely get why we haven't made the moves that both of our families are eagerly awaiting.

He's already been married and I think that he's aware that what we have is already good. In both of our eyes, to be honest, it doesn't really matter if we get married or not, because we're in this for life either way. I'm sure we will, but just not yet.

'We're going to be late!' Olivia pulls me out of my reverie, beginning to sound a little het up, because the last thing we want to do is miss the game.

So, apologising, I quickly grab my jacket and purse, before hightailing it out of Seth's room, hot on his sister's heels.

Things haven't been so great this season for the Stallions, despite Seth's best efforts up front. He's been on cracking form, but the rest of the team have been struggling a little.

Particularly Emmett, who's unfortunately had a few bad games. He's got a lot on his plate at the minute and I know it's been weighing him down a bit, even if he doesn't talk about it nearly half as much as he should.

A good friend of both his and Seth's, Sierra, was in a car accident a couple of months ago and wound up with a nasty spinal cord injury, that's rendered her in a wheelchair for life.

Emmett, bless his soul, has been there an awful lot for Sierra and I think the pressure's getting to him.

I also have my sneaking suspicions that something else is going on. I'm not blind to the way he's glanced at Seth and I every now and again, mouth twisted up wistfully, as though he's wishing he had something like us.

He's a complete sweetheart, a real golden retriever boy, so I'm sure it'll happen, but I know that it's hard to hang out with us sometimes, even if he pretends it isn't. He's just a little lonely, I suspect, even if he has Leo for company.