chapter 44

My husband walks in as i rinse my mouth, "sthandwa sam, dont you think we should visit a doctor" i just look at him blankly, I'm fine, if he didnt decide to cook rotten food i wouldnt have thrown up. "I'm fine" i leave him standing there and go back to bed into the covers, he comes and joins me in bed. He turns me to face him then he kisses my forehead. "I'm sorry" he says, he actually keeps talking but I'm so sleepy i pass out.

I woke up and checked my phone, its 1pm and I'm still in bed, i fix the covers then head to the shower, i get dressed in sweat pants and one of hubby's T shirts with slippers. I go downstairs to look for him. He's sitting in the living room watching a movie, i cuddle myself next to him. "How are you feeling?" My husband is so caring, one of the many things i appreciate about him.

"I'm hungry" i blurt out, he chuckles, "how about we order in today?" See, I'm  honestly married to the most amazing man. "I feel like mcDonalds today" he looks at me shocked,well thats because I'm not a fan of McDonald's beef burgers, they're tasteless and not filling at all. "Babe you still dont seem okay, when are you planning on visiting the doctor?" Here we go again.

"You know what, if it'll get you off my case then you can drive me to the doctor right now" he chuckles "I'm not fighting babe, i was just suggesting" i stand and wear my shoes "lets go" he raises his hands as a sign of surrendering before taking his cellphone and car keys. We drive to one of his friend's who has a private practice. Doctor Khuse.

We get there and sit in the waiting room, I'm really hungry but I'm kind of upset so i wont tell Phenyo that I'm hungry, I'll just suck it up. It is finally our turn to consult. "Bafo, maMazibuko, niyaphila(are you good)?" Dr Khuse welcomes us in. We take a seat. "So how may i help you today?" He asks, as i am about to answer, my dearest husband jumps in "my wife hasnt been feeling well lately" he says, doctor khuse turns to me "what seems to be the problem?" Again my husband jumps in before i could even say anything, I'm annoyed now but i dont wanna show that next to his friend.

He goes on and on telling the doctor about my mood swings, my sleeping patterns and my eating habits, he's telling the doctor even things that i dont pay attention to. "When was your last period maMazibuko?" He asks "well I'm on contraceptive pills so my periods are irregular and they dont occur each month" Phenyo has been smiling like an idiot here next to me.

"It is standard procedure that we perform a pregnancy test before i can prescribe any meds for your dizziness and blurry vision" he takes me to another room, hands me a glass looking thingie and explains what's expected of me, he dips the test into my urine then we walk back to the other room. Him and Phenyo are having small talk while I'm thinking of the possibilities of me being pregnant. What happens if I'm actually pregnant? I mean I'm not officially Mrs Mazibuko. I'm panicking now and I'm trying by all means to calm myself down.

"Babe, you're sweating, are you okay?" My concerned husband asks, the doctor stands to give us space, he comes back holding the test. "Congrstulations Mr and Mrs Mazibuko..." thats all i heard before it was lights out for me.

I wake up in an unfamiliar room, it smells like pills and its very cold here. I turn my head and notice my husband standing by the window, its evening already. I try to sit up before something falls from the bed which stuttles him, he rushes over to me. "My love, you're up" he helps me sit up before helping me with sipping water. "How are you feeling?" He asks while brushing my hair, he looks really worried. "I'm fine, my body hurts but I'm fine" i say "well the doctor said i can take you home as soon as you are up, he gave up prescriptions for your vitamines and i think it's best you dont go back to work for the rest of the week" i keep quiet.

"We are 3 weeks pregnant sthandwa sam" his face lit up when he said that, i dont say anything i just smile "I'm hungry" he looks disappointed then helps me into my shoes before we walk out hand in hand.

The drive home was rather quiet, he didnt hold my hand like he usually does. When we got home he went straight upstairs while i prepared a chicken mayo toasted sandwich for myself, after eating i head to bed. My husband is in the shower and so i just change into my nightdress then get into the sheets.

He gets back from his shower then joins me in bed, only this time he faces the other direction, he doesnt even kiss my forehead as he does every night. He doesnt even cuddle me up even though i protest because its too hot, tonight there's none of his random cheesy jokes. I feel tears fall, i try by all means to make sure he does not hear me. I finally fell asleep.

The next day i woke up and he was gone to work already. I dont know this side to Phenyo and i have no idea how to fix this. I decide to call his mother.
"MaMnisi, how are you?" She answers "ma, I'm okay, how are you?" She sighs "i cant complain my child I'm okay" she keeps quiet, there's awkward silence for a few seconds until she speaks up "what is the matter Zinhle?" She asks, "its Phenyo, he's upset, he's acting unusual, he was so excited when he found out that I'm pregnant but i just dismissed him, i couldnt share in on the excitement and that really got to him"

She starts ulelating, I'm guessing to the part where i mentioned that I'm pregnant "congratulations maMvuleni, i can hear that you have other concerns regarding your pregnancy, talk to him about it, work on accepting the pregnancy because the baby is coming anyway, embrace the journey and make sure you enjoy every moment of it. Speak to your husband" see thats one thing i appreciate most about my mother in law,she always knows what to say.

We continue talking more about how the wedding final preparations are going before she hangs up. I decide to dress up and deliver lunch for my hubby. Its been a while since i wore jeans and seeing that i might have to say goodbye to them for a couple of months i guess today is a good day to dress up. I wear my ankle grazer navy blue jean with a white off shoulder crop top, a denim jacket and see through block heels, i wear my bob wig then apply matte purple lipstick.

I'm driving my husband's ford ranger which is officially my second favourite, i drive to the mall first. I get to woolworths and buy snacks and drinks for our "mini celebration" then to nandos to buy a meal for 2. I drive to his workplace and I'm just in time for lunch.

I knock and he commands me in "special delivery for a daddy to be" he looks up from his laptop then smiles faintly. He stands from his chair and walk over to me, "you look beautiful" i smile, he plants a kiss on my lips " I'm sorry.." i cut him off before he goes on "no I'm sorry, I'm sorry for being so insensitive about the issue, I'm just really worried about my career , i just started a newjob, which pays better ans already I'm pregnant, I'm not even officially your wife but already..." he shuts me up with a kiss.

"See i know this is the ideal time to be expecting our first child, but its happening and we should embrace this, I'm sorry you had to go through this so soon but I'm glad you are carrying my first child, i wouldnt have had it any other way" i smile.

We sit down and eat, with a lot of laughter, Phenyo has been suggesting weird baby names. He wants to name my child after his late grandparents. He's also hoping for a baby girl, well i secretly hope its a girl as well.

After his lunch break ended, i drove home then decided to call my sister and let her know. She was also very excited, but gave me strict instructions not to post about it or tell friends yet as its still early stages. With everyone around me so excited, its rubbing off on me, I'm looking forward to the next 9 months of carrying my precious cargo...

Who knew that one day I'd be married to the man of my dreams, expecting my first baby and working the job of my dreams?