Chapter 8

Although kids had been leaving and piling into vehicles earlier, the street was now completely barren. The streetlights were all on, but most of the lights in the houses were off. I checked my phone and saw that it was half-past midnight. I guess everyone was already asleep.

I sat on the curb and looked at my phone, waiting to see if I got another message, but nothing came. Maybe there was no reception here? I thought about waiting inside, but it had been so long already. Dominic would be here any second.

I looked around at the dark street and gasped as the streetlamp a couple of houses over went out suddenly. I laughed at myself and tried to calm down.

"Stupid over-active imagination," I muttered. The wind whistled past and I pulled my jacket tighter around my body, rubbing my hands over my goosebump-covered legs.

"Dominic..." I whined anxiously. My legs started shaking from the cold and I pressed them together for warmth. 

I heard a rustling sound from the house behind me and spun to see that a plastic bag had gotten trapped in the limb of a tree and was being whipped around now. I faced forward again and the hair on the back of my neck stood immediately, like I was being watched.

I stood up cautiously, almost tipping over. Drinking was a bad idea. Coming out here alone was also a bad idea.

A dark-colored car that was parked in a driveway suddenly roared to life, and I shivered when I realized I hadn't seen anyone get in. The garage door hadn't opened, the front door hadn't made a sound. They must've been sitting here the whole time. I shook as it pulled slowly out of the driveway and in my direction before zooming past me and down the street. I let out a breath and then screamed when I saw headlights heading back my way.

I froze as I considered running or hiding when the window rolled down and I heard my name.

"Maya, get in the car! It's freezing out here!" Dominic shouted from the front seat, waving an arm out the open window. I nearly cried as I ran over and jumped inside, shutting and locking the door behind myself.

"Did you see a car pass you?" I asked, my words slurring with anxiety. My body was still quaking and after clicking in my seatbelt, I pulled my knees up and hugged them.

Dominic looked at me worriedly, and said "Yes? The car that just went by? Why? What's wrong?"

His hands gripped the wheel and he seemed ready to take off at my word.

"N-nothing," I said, unsure. "It just scared me, that's all."

Dominic's body slumped with relief and he pulled forward down the road, heading in the direction of our house.

"You scared me My. I thought something happened." He said, forehead creasing with worry.

"Nothing happened," I said with a hiccup, telling both him and me. "Safe and sound."

He turned to me suspiciously and said, "How was the party?"

"So much fun!" I replied genuinely.

"Did you talk to any boys?" he asked, smirking at the windshield.

"Yes! Two! But they're just friends." I grimaced as I realized I might've been too honest.

"Was one of them the guy you told me was cute?" he asked, raising his eyebrows and laughing.

I faced the front and crossed my arms over my chest.

"That is none of your business!" I spluttered.

"No? Isn't it my job as your older brother?" he asked, feigning shock and putting a hand on his chest.

"Nope! You're fired."

"You can't fire me!"

"Okay, you're being 'let go'. We're going in a new direction. You're just not a good fit for this particular job anymore." I said, moving my hands as if I were the boss.

"You can't do that." He told me in a bored tone.

"I just did."

"Well, if you're not my little sister, that means no movie nights, no coming in my room to tell me about your whole entire day, and no hugs." He said seriously.

I thought about my options.

"And no riding my motorcycle with me, of course." He added, biting his lip to keep from laughing.

"That's not fair!" I complained as we pulled into the garage of our house.

"It's your call." He answered, switching off the car and getting out. He opened up the passenger door for me and smiled because he knew he won.

"Fine! You can be my older brother!" I huffed as I got out and started walking inside. He took one large step in front of me and put his arm over the door.

"And?" he asked with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes and growled at him, but he just smirked as if he would wait here all night. I had a strange suspicion that he would.

"And... one of them was the boy I said was cute! Now go away!" I said, jumping under his arm and into the house. I heard his laugh as it bounced off of the garage and blushed as I ran up to my room and my heart raced. He would never let me live this down, would he?