Chapter 22

(A/N Pssst if you thought the last chapter was triggering... better skip this one too.)

When the memory of this man appeared in my head, the floodgates seemed to open. It was Thanksgiving, and I had gotten a new dress. I realized now, all of a sudden, that a new dress was almost a warning. Something would be happening, and I should be ready for it.

"Here you go, angel." My uncle said in his honey-sweet voice as he handed me a wrapped box. I wondered what I did to make him happy. I had gotten mediocre grades and I wasn't being particularly nice to him lately. I had even argued with him the other day, although he put an end to that quickly.

I tore the paper gently and threw the trash out immediately, not wanting to give him a reason to hate me today. I looked up at him and he smiled, encouraging me to open the box.

I pulled it open to see an orange dress covered in little red flowers with green stems. It was pretty, but it looked a little small. My teacher Mrs. Speakman told me the other day that I was getting taller. Did he not notice?

"Thank you," I said, smiling up at him. Any gift was a blessing and he only rarely got me dresses.

"Go to your room and try it on!" he encouraged. I nodded my head and faced the stairs, clenching up a little as his hand patted me low on the back. Too low.

I began running up and he laughed at my pace. "So eager." He teased, still chuckling as he walked to the kitchen. I shut the door to my room and pulled out the dress, before gingerly taking off my baggy T-shirt and shorts. I turned away from the mirror so I wouldn't have to see my body as I changed.

I pulled the dress over the top of my head and knew before it had even reached my neck that it wasn't big enough. Regardless, I stretched and squeezed and bent my body in new directions, just barely forcing it onto me.

I looked in the mirror and groaned. The skirt was far too short, and the dress didn't fit me... on top. My chest wasn't completely flat anymore, and the extra fabric pulled the dress so that it barely covered me fully. I blushed as I thought about the conversation that we'd been forced to have with our teacher about our changing bodies just last week.

I thought about pulling off the dress and telling my uncle, but I knew he'd think I was lying and would want to see for himself.

I ran downstairs and into the kitchen, screeching to a halt when I reached him.

"I'm too big," I said softly, not making eye contact. I waited to hear some response, but he was quiet as he examined me. Was he sad? Did he think I hated his present?

He reached his hand out and grabbed me by the back of the neck, guiding me to the bathroom. I stumbled over my socked feet as I tried to maintain his pace and regain balance. We reached the room and he pushed me inside and followed behind, locking the door behind us. 

He faced me towards the mirror and stood behind me, scowling at the dress. Disgusted with my body, just like I was. He grabbed the hem and pulled it down, causing the cotton to tighten and stretch over me, only accentuating the beginning of my curves. He then grabbed the neck and pulled back towards himself, choking me with it and causing it to tear as well. My body shook and I grabbed his hands with my own, but his grip was like iron and I knew there was no use trying to force him to let go.

I watched in the mirror as my face turned purple and little dark spots dotted my vision until the dress ripped off of me and he let go. I fell to the ground in a dramatic plummet and smacked the cold tile with my knees. He opened the door and walked out of the room while I took large breaths of air in and tried to restart my lungs. I wanted to cover my body, but I remained quivering against the floor just in case he came back. The cold made me shiver but I tried to ignore it. Instead, I strained my ears for any sounds outside. I heard a soft clicking and the sound of my uncle talking to someone. His voice wasn't angry anymore, but I didn't calm down. I knew how quickly that could change. 

But who was he calling?

I didn't know whether to leave or stay. He didn't tell me. What do I do?

After a couple more minutes of waiting, I stood up and leaned against the cold countertop. I squeezed my legs together and faced the door, trying to hide from the version of myself that lived in the mirror. I imagined her leaving the mirror when I did but going to a different world. She would hug her mother and make dinner with her father before going to bed and not worrying about the future. I heard footsteps in the hall, so I turned my gaze on the floor and held my position.

He walked back into the room only seconds later, and my breathing calmed. When he didn't speak, I spared a glance to check his expression. He looked normal again. Maybe even... eager?

 "I invited a friend over for Thanksgiving, Maya. You remember him. Officer Walker?" he asked, smiling. I felt my neck throb and I hoped he wouldn't pull me again. His eye twitched for just a second and I immediately answered, "Yes, I remember him." He was my uncle's best friend and was over occasionally for football games. Sometimes I brought him and uncle a beer, and he'd always give me a wink.

"When you get too old for your uncle and want to start pleasing a real man, you call me honey." Officer Walker teased over the roar of the football game. Then he and my uncle would guffaw, and I would leave as quickly as I could.

There was something about him that scared me. His hairline was starting to recede, and his belly protruded like any man his age, but there was something in him that gave my body alarm. I wanted to ignore it, but I always trusted my gut feelings.

"Isn't that exciting?" my uncle asked, blue eyes meeting mine insistently.

I nodded and looked down, trying to keep an eye on his breathing. Was it quickening, or was I imagining things?

"Can I go put something else on?" I asked, voice shaking and hushed. The air conditioner had kicked on and the breeze was making me pull my stomach tight. I had to resist the urge to wrap my arms around myself.

"No, Maya. This will be just fine."