twenty

I'm given a second chance within a few days. It's a much smaller raid, not one with big parties or hundreds of guests that might get caught up in the crossfire. Jayden, Zavier, Blake and I have gone through a plan, where I'm actually doing all the work while they keep a look out and observe what I do, and while we did, Blake made it more than obvious that he was uncomfortable with me joining them. However, he was smart and kept his mouth closed, aware that Zavier and Jayden actually like me. Good lad.

It's quite a simple plan, really. All I have to do is walk into a cosmetic store and steal some expensive stuff without anyone knowing. It's not quite stealing hundreds of pounds worth of cash and jewellery, but Danielle says it's basically the same principles, and it's the type of thing that the thieves do for fun. This is just play time for them, and if I want to play with them then I need to know the basics.

Jayden helps me pick out my outfit, deciding on a long sleeved, black top tucked into a black and white chequered pencil skirt with knee-high black boots. It's all very sophisticated, especially when my make-up is done and I manage to style my hair with some help from Maeve, and I'm starting to really enjoy the dressing up part of this job. I feel confident and sexy and excited with the knowledge that no one will suspect the expensive girl going into an expensive shop.

"As incredible as the bigger raids are, I enjoy these smaller ones just as much," Maeve says as we walk to the garage, her arm linked through mine. Everyone's starting to joke that we might need to be surgically removed from one another since we're practically joined at the hip at this point, and I'm starting to think they might be right. "And, although you're totally badass on your own, you have the guys there to make sure you're okay. So walk in like you already own everything in the shop and you'll enjoy it, too."

"At least there's no guns involved this time," I laugh, my thigh feeling a lot more comfortable without the weight of a pistol attached to it.

Maeve chuckles. "I so wish I was coming with you."

"You should," I say, turning to face her as we've made it to the car.

"I don't think I quite look the part," she says, looking down at her outfit of nothing but an oversized jumper. "Anyway, I promised I'd take Posie for a bit so Chelsea can actually get some sleep, so you're stuck with the men, I'm afraid."

We glance over to the three of them, Blake and Jayden laughing over something while Zavier gives them nothing more than an amused smile. Maeve gives me a hug, briefly squeezing me. "Good luck," she says, pulling away. "And please pick me up some Chanel perfume as mine is running out."

I make a face. "I'll try."

I get into the car with the guys, Blake driving as always and Jayden in the back with me. It's comforting having him there, forever the ray of sunshine, and he gets to easing my nerves as soon as we're driving, joking with me and expressing his excitement at seeing me in action. It's only when we reach the parking lot of a shopping mall, a different one to the one where the watches were stolen, that the pit of fear in my stomach re-opens like an healing wound.

"Aurora, you know the plan?" Zavier asks, eyeing me through the rear-view mirror.

I take in a deep breath. There isn't really a plan, I'm just going to be plonked in a store and will need to figure my own way out. But I just say, "sure."

The four of us climb out of the car. I try to match the confident stride of the guys as we walk towards the mall in a line, knowing that the eyes watching our every move is purely my imagination playing tricks on me. I'm not shitting myself quite as much as I'd thought I'd be, but we've barely gotten started.