The Portal To Nemderia

Kemp smiled at Deloris.

"This is it, doll. Today, we put our work to the test. We prove that time travel is possible."

"Or not," she retorted. "I keep telling you that I don't have a good feeling about this. I don't think we're ready."

The red-headed man with three-days of unshaven, orange scruff scoffed, "This is science, baby. We don't have room for feelings or thoughts. Only data and cold, hard facts."

"Yes, but those cryptic messages that you keep receiving back through your 'time machine' sound more like a Nigerian scammer than someone from the future. I keep telling you I got a bad feeling about this. We should let someone know."

"And let them get all the credit? No, way! I worked hard for this. But don't worry, as soon as I get back, we'll let the higher-ups know. Okay?"

"And what if you don't come back? Or what if something worse happens?"

"Oh, c'mon, Deloris. For crying out loud. Why do you have to be such a pessimist? Can't you just be positive for once? Especially on a day like today. Sheesh."

The dark-haired woman's eyes flashed fire and fury. But she bit her tongue and frowned. She turned back to the console so he wouldn't see her wipe away the hot tear brought by his scathing remark.

Kemp sat down at the opposite terminal and began typing furiously away at the keyword while humming a tune off-key. She had once thought it cute. Now, it irritated her.

Deloris regretted ever bringing this idea to Kemp in the first place. He had seemed like such a nice guy at the time. But the man had changed as their work progressed.

The man walked over and stood under the portal. He shoved a lock of red hair from off his forehead. Checking the wires to make sure everything was connected properly.

Kemp began taking over the project like it had been his idea in the first place. He became more arrogant and bossy with each progressive discovery. Never mind that it was her ideas that brought about each breakthrough. But he never acknowledged that it was her input that got them to where they were.

Deloris watched as he moved to the monitors to make a few final adjustments.

She couldn't believe that she had once been in love with Kemp. At least not this version of him. Deloris had seriously considered walking away many times, but she refused to give him the satisfaction of taking credit for her ideas and everything she had done.

Kemp came back to his terminal and threw himself in his chair with a smug, satisfied grin. He typed furiously away again.

No, Deloris had a better idea in mind. Once this time machine worked, she would go back in time and warn herself not to let Kemp in on the project. And she would bring herself the blueprint so she could accelerate the development process.

Finally, Kemp spun around in his chair and announced that they were ready to begin. She nodded in agreement. Still lost in thought.

Deloris wondered briefly how she would manage without him. There were things that she needed him for. Granted, the ideas were hers even though he was the one who actually executed them. But why did he have to be such a douche and take all the credit?

"Earth to Deloris. Are you there? Are you ready? It's go time, woman. Let's get a move on it, woman."

She scowled at him. "Of course, I'm ready."

"Sheesh, girl. You don't have to be so touchy. What's wrong with you today?"

Deloris bit her tongue. She would definitely go back in time and remove him from the project. She could find some other person to take his place. It was a time machine, after all. She could go back as many times as she needed until she found the right person.