20

Skylar's POV

"We need to talk." Was the first sentence that I heard that morning when I got back home from spending yet another night at the clearing. I scowl at my younger brother.

I hate being like this, constantly being mad at everyone, but it's who I've become ever since-well, you know.

"I don't want to talk to you." I say stiffly. I turn around and start to walk up the stars for a well diserved shower. I was halfway up the steps, only to pause when I heard Matt's next sentence.

"It's about Aiden." I turn around to look at him, my eyes narrowed into slits.

"Yeah, what about him?" He breaks eye contact and looks down, almost guiltily, but I could've been wrong. I've been wrong about a lot of things these past few months. "What about him Matt?" I press further.

He sighs and looks back up at me. I stare into his eyes and by the way they don't shimmer I can tell i was right, he's definitely guilty, of what? I don't know, but something tells me I'm about to find out. I just hope it's not anymore bad news, I couldn't bare that. "Let's talk in your room." He says, I look at him for a minuet, looking over his face, when i find no trace of wnat i was looking for, I huff and make my way to my room knowing he's right behind me.

We make it to my room and he closes the door behind him. I sit on the bed and stare at him from where he's standing.

"Shoot." I say boredly. He rings his hands together nervously, I frown at him. He's taking too long, whatever it is, can't really be that bad, can it? "Dude, can't you spit it out already. Geez, if you were gonna act all scared, mabey you shouldn't've come to talk-"

"Aiden didn't really cheat on you." He blurts out, instantly shutting me up. I just stare at him for a moment, shocked. I don't really know how to respond to that.

Who would.

"What?" I finally mange to say. He sighs and takes a seat next to me on the bed.

"Aiden didn't really cheat on you, Sky. Did you really think he would do such a thing?" He asks me softly, which just makes me mad. Did he really think I was so naive to believe that he didn't cheat on me I saw it with my own eyes? "What you saw that day was Aiden trying to protect you." I just stare at him blankly. This is so confusing.

"I don't understand." I shake my head, massaging my temples. This is all making my head hurt.

Matt places his hand on my shoulder. "Aiden was doing it to protect you. The council they didn't like you very much."

I scoff. "That much i new, but what does them hating me have to do with anything?"

"It has to do with everything." He scoots closer to me on the bed. "They really didn't like the fact that a lower life form was destined to be their next ruler, so when they got the chance they cornerd Aide."

"How did they corner him?" I ask, my brows furrowed.

"They used the one thing he cared about the most....you." He says making me even more confused. "They used you against him Sky. There's a rule in the kingdom, that the crowned prince is not allowed to marry an outsider. If the future prince was mated with an outsider, they killed said mate. The prince would then get a new mate, picked out by the council themselves. And because of all this, they gave Aide an ultimatum. Either he gives you up and regect's you so that you come back home and live happily or....you he refuses to regect you and you get killed. He did this for you Sky, he would never cheat."

I look at him my mind blank. So all this time I've just been wallowing in self pity for nothing.

"How do you know all this?"