27. Saved

There was a small garden in the grounds. It was tucked out the way and if you weren't looking for it, you'd never find it.

The greenery was overgrown and almost everything was out of place but somehow, I felt more at home in the chaos of nature than I did inside. I was no longer needed at EDIN for anything other than their personal blood bank. So, when there were moments to escape, I took it.

The white plaster was still taped to my arm from the latest drain. This one felt bruised again. Julia was getting sloppy.

Even though they monitored everything I ate and drank, I still felt weaker, dizzier, like my brain wouldn't focus. They'd started to seem more excited though. I knew the previous stock had almost been completely depleted and they acted like it was Christmas when the day came.

"Ben!" I heard Chris call.

I rolled my eyes. I could never disappear for long.

"Fuck sake," I heard him shout. "Have you seen Ben?" he asked a passer-by.

I stood up so I could be seen from the glass corridor which opened out into the garden. Chris clocked me and stopped dead in his tracks.

"I've been looking all over for you!" he exclaimed. "Where the fuck have you been?"

He wore clothing similar to Pilot's; dark trousers and a black canvas utility vest over the top of his shirt. He lowered his mask when I approached.

"Just around," I shrugged. "By the sounds of it, I'm only going to be needed once every few months."

His eyes narrowed. "Are you serious?"

"What?"

"Ben, you're one of the smartest people I know. Hell, you're probably smarter than half of the people in that lab."

I raised my shoulders. "Your point?"

"They need you in there helping them."

"Did they tell you that?"

"They didn't have to."

He leaned against the door frame and folded his arms. The new clothing he wore suited him like he was meant to be a soldier. It was as if he held himself differently as he stood in front of me, taller and more confident.

"You gave them what they needed," he continued. "But it doesn't mean that's where your involvement ends."

I looked to the ground where the grass had been squashed beneath my feet but the green strands around still stood to my knees.

"Why should I even bother?" I said.

"I did not hear you just say that."

"Why though?" I argued. "It's not like I can save Em anymore. She's fucking gone and maybe I just need to come to terms with that."

His expression softened, and he moved away from the door frame, stepping out into the garden. "Em is not the only person that needs your help, Ben. Do you realise how many Infected could be saved? How many people could be given another chance if we get this right?"

I faltered, not knowing the right words to say. "I don't even know if I can... I'm not like the people in that lab. I never was. I just did the things I was told to do."

His brows raised. "Well, right now I'm telling you to get in that lab. So, follow me."

He turned on his heels and made his way back down the corridor, not looking to check if I was behind him. His words were enough and he knew that. I looked over my shoulder, giving the garden one last look and letting the crisp air fill my lungs a final time before I stepped away.

Chris had been waiting further down the corridor and a grin spread his face when I appeared from the garden.

"I knew it!" he said, almost laughing. "Did I actually say something right for once?"

"Shut up," I rolled my eyes. "Let's just get this over with."

He led the way and I followed his dark shadow. I tried to ignore the looks of the people who passed. They weren't discreet and made it very obvious they knew who I was. I should've accepted it by that point but I just couldn't. I still wanted to be invisible like when I'd been Josh.

"You know, Pilot didn't think I could get you to come," he said smugly.

"You actually managed to have a conversation with him?"

We turned corner after corner. I hadn't realised how far away the garden was from the main building when I first found it.

"He's not so bad," Chris continued. "You should give him a chance. He's alright once you get to know him."

"Oh yeah?" I scoffed. "What deep, dark secrets has he shared?"

"Nothing like that," he replied. "He came to EDIN as a last resort after the people he was travelling with got killed by a herd."

"He came here alone?" I had to admit I was surprised. No one ever came to EDIN voluntarily, only when there was no other option.

"Yeah, that was my first thought... He's only 24, you know? Not that much older than us."

I shrugged. "I didn't know that."

He glanced over his shoulder. "You probably won't see me later tonight, by the way," he added, quieter.

"Why not?" I scowled. "Where do you have to be?"

His shoulders raised, brushing off the question. "Pilot's taking me around the compound on a training thing."

"Oh," I said. "Is Lo going too?"

"No," he said as we approached the door to the lab. "I don't think so."

He opened the heavy white door, allowing me to walk in first. I was greeted by Donut standing by the row of lab coats and I immediately regretted agreeing to come.

"How's it going, Ben?" he narrowed his eyes.

Chris stepped in behind me, closing the door and standing guard.

"Fine," I shrugged, grabbing a white coat off the hook. "Any more injuries recently?"

"No, actually. Looks like you decided to stick around though?"

I pulled a pair of clear safety glasses from the rack and slid them onto my face. "I thought you'd miss me too much if I left," I smirked.