Ch 45: Symphony

I opened my latest envelope from Matthias with trembling fingers.

Elise,

How are things?  Everything is fine here.  Things have been quite boring, actually.  We caught an enemy trying to sneak into our territory on rounds last night, but we took care of him quickly.  Glad he didn't have to cause you more suffering.

Your dad seems to be warming up to the idea of regular human tech a bit.  I'm hoping he goes for it.  It won't entirely replace patrols, but it would definitely help us cover our bases better.  I know you've never been interested in the details, but you've always cared about the safety of the pack.

I don't know what to tell you other than that.  Beth was delighted by your call, although instead of getting her off my back she instead she cornered me into a long conversation.  You know how she gets.  Also, I learned she apparently has a thing for Ernie, which makes me worry she might have lost her mind.  I can't think of a single reason a nice sane girl would think she would want more time around that.  So there's pretty much everything you've been missing while you've been gone.

I never know what I'm supposed to put when I write to you.  I still feel ridiculous writing to you like it's last century or something, but Moramay said you really liked them, so...  I keep trying since I guess it helps you feel better.

If you're sitting there and laughing at this thing tell me and end my suffering.

I do miss you, though, since we never used to go longer than a couple of days apart.  I think I knew before, but now I really know, you know?  I don't know.

Matthias had scribbled something out at the end of the line.

Anyways, I'll come and see you on Saturday again.  Your dad's going to have them work my schedule so I get them off regularly now.  He figured it would be good to give you structure and now that you've been going along to work with him, it makes sense.

Can't wait to see you,

Matt

I really did not know what he was thinking.  Was it my imagination?  Was I simply hoping for something more?

The curse ran over my skin and dived into me.  Whether or not it was truth or imaginings, the curse thought I was out of line yet again.

"Seems a big risk to make such a commitment on the off chance it would work," my father grumbled.

I broke in.  "I think l-l-love might b-be the answer.  I kn-know it's r-r-ridiculous, b-b-but..."

All three looked at me.

"B-But if it c-comes up, it's b-better than the alternatives."

My hands shook so I clasped them together.

"Ser-Ser...  C-can w-we g-go h-home?"  Perhaps I was weak, but I did not think I could stand any more abuse from the magic and I had a lot to think about.

"Of course."

Pastor Jensen pressed a pile of papers into my father's hands.  "For Doctor Alexi."

My father nodded.  "If you have any ideas, let me know, pastor."

"Of course," he said easily.  Serge picked up my bag and helped me up.  Pastor Jensen walked with us to the exit.  "And you're welcome back anytime."

"Thank you," Serge said.  We went out to his truck.  My father hugged me.  "Take care of yourself, Elise."

"I w-will, dad."