Chapter 22: True Colors

Finn's POV

After the Lancaster Spring Festival, the classes went on. Assignments, projects and the finals week. After the finals week, it was the gala. I feel like the school really set up that important event to be right after a hard week so that the students attending would be all stressed out, and probably lacking of sleep. 

One thing I was excited about is that Oliver and I were going as dates, he had been making sure that I was alright all week, making sure that I wasn't stressing out and he did a great job if I would say so, he didn't need to do all of that. He was still pretty guilty about 'not being able to protect me from Bella' despite me forgiving him numerous times already.

Bella was invited in the gala along with her minions which I am pretty nervous about. The last event we had an interaction was in the festival and she did not hold back. Oliver was attending with me, so I wouldn't have to worry about anything... if Chad wasn't also going with us.

I would've been fine with that- I think- if only people didn't put all the pressure on my shoulders. I didn't need everybody saying that the gala was a prestigious event since all the Lancaster Alums would be there. Past principal, staffs, important people, their plus ones, 'legendary' people. Just from that, I contemplated even going, I'm still perplexed how Oliver was able to convince me to come.

And it brings us into this moment. Oliver held my hand as we entered the building. His warm, large hands covering my freezing cold ones.

"Are you sure you're gonna be okay, Finn? You look a little pale right now." He said as he looked at me with concern in his eyes.

I took a deep breath nervously, shaking my hands repeatedly before forcing a smile. "Yeah! I'm just so nervous." 

He raised an eyebrow at me, as if I said something suspicious. He then proceeded to pull me close enough for him to press a kiss to my cheek. I could still smell traces of his cologne as he pulled away from me, enough to calm my nerves.

"Okay, I trust you, Finn. You're gonna be okay, and if you aren't, then I'm here." He reassured before pressing his lips to mine.

I got lost in the moment and kissed him back more passionately, grabbing the back of his head so that our faces were as close as they could be. We only stopped when someone cleared their throat behind us and only then I realized that we were in the public. I grimaced in embarrassment and buried my face in my hand.

Oliver threw his head back to laugh. "I'm sure you're gonna be okay, right?"

"Uh... yeah." I reassured.

He nodded with a charming smile before we proceeded towards the ballroom.

The inside was fully decorated of expensive looking curtains, the tall windows looking into the beautiful night sky, various doors that I assume led to hallways or balconies, crystal chandeliers hung from the high ceiling of the room, circular tables scattered around the room, lights that pointed in different directions and a stage at the end of the room. People dressed in crisp suits and sparkly dresses milled the room, either expensive bags on their hands or a drink. Everything looked so expensive and sparkly. The whole room was probably more expensive than my whole entire existence.

I felt Oliver's hand squeeze mine as he gave me an encouraging smile, I could only smile back before my eyes wandered around the guests. An approaching familiar figure entered my field of vision and clapped Oliver's back.

"Sup, man." Chad greeted with a cool smirk but it quickly faded when his eyes landed on me. "Finn."

"Uh... I don't wanna get hate-crimed, please." I said as I subtly stepped backward so Oliver would be shielding me from him.