Chapter 33: The Grinch

It was December. The Christmas season had started. People were putting Christmas lights up around camp. There were campers drinking hot chocolate and listening to music. Everyone seemed to be in a better mood as Christmas was approaching. Will was in a better mood, as well. He had an amazing boyfriend, awesome siblings, great friends, and he felt very happy. He loved Christmas. There had been no patients since Kyla, which was something Will felt was a Christmas miracle. Almost everything was perfect. Almost. But there was one person that seemed more upset than usual.

   "Cmon, death boy! Get into the Christmas spirit!" He said, nudging the grumpy son of Hades.

   "Leave me alone."

   "Nope! No can do! Not until you fix that attitude of yours!"

   "Well, that's not happening." They were standing in Nico's cabin. He had refused to come to breakfast, so Will was trying to figure out what was wrong.

   "Come on! You were happier during Halloween."

   "That's because that's the only day I can fit in."

   Will sighed. "How many times have I told you? Stop talking like that!"

   "Whatever. Christmas sucks. It's depressing."

   "How is it depressing? It's supposed to be a time of joy and happiness."

   "Well, that's stupid. Christmas is just a day. Like every other ordinary day. When I was on my own, I didn't know which day was Christmas. It was like all of the other days. Dark, depressing, grieving days, trying to get my sister back, hating myself, and hating Percy. Nothing special."

   Will looked at him with sadness. "But it's different when you have somebody to spend it with. That's what makes it a special day."

   "I don't care. I haven't celebrated Christmas in a long time, and I won't be doing so ever again."

   "Oh, come on! Don't be a grinch!"

   Nico tilted his head. "What's that?"

   "Not what. Who. He's a green creature who hates Christmas and tries to ruin it."

   "Oh. Well, I don't care what I get called. I'm not participating."

   "I understand that you were alone for years. You had nobody to spend Christmas with. But that's all in the past, though. You have people to spend time with now."

   "You don't understand!"

   "What is this about?"

   "I miss my sister!" He yelled, tears beginning to stream down his face. And for once, Will could see the little 10 year old boy again. The little boy who was so utterly alone, wanting his sister.

   "I...I'm sorry, Nico. I should've thought about that."

   "It's not your fault. It's just...It was bad enough I found out I lost her 3 days before Christmas. It was bad enough that Christmas was her favorite holiday and she was so looking forward to it. But Christmas was her birthday."

   Will didn't know what to say.

   "She was going to be 13. She was almost 13. She didn't make it to 13, Will. She died right before turning 13. I found out 3 days before she turned 13."

   Will embraced him in a hug and held him. "I'm so sorry. And I'm so sorry there isn't anything I can do about that. There's nothing I wouldn't do for you, Nico. And if there was still a way to bring Bianca back, I would. But there isn't, and I'm so sorry."

   Nico tried to hold back his tears, and Will hugged him tighter, pushing Nico's face into his chest. "Let it all out. We're the only ones here."

   And he did. Nico cried and cried, and Will stood there gently stroking his head. Will was glad he was letting his emotions out and not bottling them up like he usually did.

   "I just miss her so much, Will."

   "I know."

   "Sometimes I miss her so much I can't sleep."

   "Grief does that."

   "But it's already been so long. I'm not 10 anymore. I'm 14. It's been almost 4 years."

   "You weren't able to get any closure or any help. You were completely on your own. Of course you're still grieving. Any child would be without people and happiness surrounding them."

   "I'm tired, Will. I'm so tired of being alone." Nico said between sobs.

   A tear rolled down Will's face. "You're not alone anymore."

   A long time passed before Nico pulled away. Will pulled a tissue out of his med kit and handed it to him. He gently kissed Nico's head.

   "You're going to be okay, you know that? You have people now." Will told him gently.

   Nico shook his head. "Nobody can fix me. I'm broken. I'm too far gone."

   Will smiled. "You're right. You are broken. You can't be fixed. At least not completely. But you know what?" Will grabbed Nico's hands. "When I was younger, I had a toy truck. It was my favorite toy at the time. One day, I accidentally broke it. I was very upset. But my mom helped me put it back together. Yes, it wasn't the same. There was a piece that was missing, one wheel wouldn't always work right, sometimes another piece would fall off. I had to be extra gentle when I played with it. But it was still my favorite toy. It was my favorite toy for 3 more years. Sometimes I would have to put it back together again. But for the most part, it worked the way it was made to. But the truck had more to it then just being a truck. It had a story. It was interesting and unique. I ended up being glad that it broke, because it was even cooler that way. Nico, you don't need to be fixed. I'll help you put the pieces back together, but the way you were when you were 10 is in the past. You won't be able to be a brand new toy with shiny paint and bright headlights. You'll have missing pieces and things that don't work right. But that's what makes you you. I still have a mad crush on you, and I wouldn't want you any other way."

   Nico gaped at him, blushing madly. "When did you learn to be so smooth, Solace?"

   Will shrugged sheepishly. "I needed to say what I needed to say to help the person I care about the most."

   "Well it was very surprising coming from a geek like you."

   "Hey!"

   A small smile formed in the corner of his mouth.

   "Well, I'm glad I was able to lift your spirits a little." Will said.

   "Really, Will?"

   "What?" Will thought about it. Then it clicked. Spirits. The son of Hades. Will started cracking up. "I didn't even think of that. Oh gods, that is a dumb one. Pun not intended!"

   After he calmed down, Will kissed Nico on the lips.

   "You may be a Christmas grinch, but you're my Christmas grinch. And the cutest I've ever seen."