Chapter 7

~November, 1994~

The following week I leave campus after my Criminology class ends at noon. I stop by the dorm to grab a gym bag and catch the subway across the city to the FBI training center. Casano decided he wants me at the Academy with all the new recruits, even if I'm not technically attending. He says he wants me to observe how they do things today.

So, at one o'clock I'm in leggings and a t-shirt, sitting on the sidelines and bored out of my mind as I watch the cadets run through drills. I pass the time by counting each mistake I see. Once one person hits five, which happens fairly quickly, I move onto the next.

The door to the gymnasium swings open and Casano strolls through, his suit navy blue today. He makes a beeline for me and takes a seat on my right.

"How's it going?"

"Great," I grumble. "When does the training actually start?"

Andrew smiles. "I know you want to get in the ring, Carli, but you need to get a feel for how things work around here. Watch the others. Observe."

"I've observed plenty."

"Such as?"

I raise my eyebrows before listing the mistakes of the guy closest to me. Next, I move on to his partner, and then another group.

"Switching stances, crossing their feet, dropping their guard and practically asking to get punched—"

"Alright," Casano interrupts with a chuckle. "I get it. You know what you're doing."

"Can I join now? Or should I critique the instructor, too?"

"I don't recommend that. Smith here used to be a marine. Wouldn't take kindly to being shown up."

I give a slight smile. "Fair enough."

Casano stands and gestures towards the mats. "You want in? First lesson starts now." I leap to my feet and follow Andrew to the group of trainees. "Everyone, this is Carli D'angelo. She'll be joining us for the time being."

I nod to a few of the others, noticing they're all a few years older than me. I hold my chin a little higher, glaring at the few that give me smug looks.

Smith, the instructor, shakes my hand. "Nice to meet you, D'angelo. You've missed the first drill, but—"

"I saw it, actually," I interrupt. A couple people snicker. I square my shoulders, not bothering to look at them. "Sorry to interrupt, sir. But I could give it a go if you would like."

"Sure. Williams!" He snaps his fingers towards a girl about my height. Her blonde hair is pulled back into a ponytail, streaks of red in the strands. She steps forward and we each take a fighting stance. She gives me a brief smile which I gratefully return. "Alright, D'angelo. Show us what you got."

Williams attacks with a standard jab-cross. I perform the drill, parrying the jab and side-stepping the cross, then countering with a punch to the ribs and a take-down. Williams falls to the mat in a matter of seconds. I offer her a hand up and she eyes me curiously as I help her stand.

When I turn to the others, Casano looks mildly impressed. Smith looks me up and down. "You've been sitting on the bench all this time?" he asks.

"I was told to observe," I say with a pointed look at Andrew. He cracks a smile.

"Well you're not observing anymore," Smith continues. "Training one to four on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Don't be late."

I smile. "Yes sir."