Chapter 3

Heather

I stopped at a diner near my apartment to grab a quick lunch when Tyler, that'd be my boyfriend called me.

"How did the interview go?" He is so sweet. He is the most loving guy that I know and he cares about me so much.

"I think it went well. I have to wait for the call first. I'll be back home after lunch, will you be home tonight?" I heard shuffling of papers on the other line.

"Sorry honey, I'm going to be home late tonight." He was an accountant so he worked long hours, especially during tax season. I still miss him even though he calls me every day.

"It's okay I have to get my assignment done anyways," I said my goodbye before driving back to my apartment. Thankfully this was my last year of college so by next year this time I would be teaching. I love being a nanny for the time being but unfortunately, I had to quit my current job since things got complicated.

Mr.Smith, my employer's husband became too comfortable with having me around and propositioned me for sex. I told his wife about it after the 2nd time, at first I thought he was joking but he was persistent. He threatened me since I was the cause of his divorce so I do not feel comfortable or safe working for them anymore.

My interview with Gabriele Armanto was actually nice, it was an informal interview nothing too harsh. He was a good looking man, tall with dark hair and eyes and tan skin. He had muscles in all the right places... but I didn't pay much attention to that. He adores his son, from what I  have heard he had no wife and had to raise his boy alone.

I opened my apartment door, it's nothing big, just comfortable but with the stacks of work I had to do it was getting claustrophobic. I sighed and took a seat next to a stack. I started going through the list of things I had to get done. I was already annoyed by the pile staring back at me from the start. That's what I get for putting it off till the last minute. My phone ringing jolted me out of my assignment induced frustration haze. It was an unknown number. Fear coursed through me, the threat I got from Mr.Smith was an empty one but I had this irrational fear constantly looming over me.

I looked at my phone warily. I answered it after a good few seconds.

"Hello?"

"Hi, it's Tristan." I let out a breath when I heard my brother's voice from on the other side.

"Hey."

"Did Nichola call you?" I grimaced at my sister's name.

"No, why?"

"She's getting married." I gasped. Alex proposed to her? I guessed he would since he's wrapped around that witch's pinky. I bit back all my remarks, the snide remarks I had drifting around my head.

"Really? Wow. She'll call me eventually." Hopefully not, I don't want to see my sister getting married to my ex that chose her over me.

"Sorry, I forgot about you and Alex. Mom told me to call you just to make sure you know. I didn't want to, but you know how she gets with the ladle." I smiled, my mother practically raised us with a ladle, that thing haunted us, even to this day. That was the most threatening thing when we were children.

"It's fine, it was bound to happen some time. I have some work to do so I better get cracking." He sensed my unease and said goodbye. I was in a relationship with my best friend Alex for years but then he told me that he liked Nichola more than I. I couldn't be his friend when I saw him love someone else, my sister. There was some bad blood in the family with Nichola. He still chose her, however.

I continued doing my college assignment until I fell asleep in the papers scattered around me on my bed.