Chapter 22

Gabriele

Yesterday Heather almost drowned herself. This made me have a sleepless night tossing and turning because it felt like I was on the edge of losing her. Early the morning, before the sun came up I was awake staring at the ceiling. Luca was going to work on a project for school with friends, he said that he didn't want to bother Heather so he is going to his grandmothers. I think he can sense she is a little off after the accident. The accident which I blame myself for.

 I couldn't bear to see her so distraught and I knew she loved me and I loved her. 

About an hour later after contemplating my choices, my door opened and Luca tiptoed in. He plopped himself onto my bed and scooted to my side, I wrapped my arm around him kissing him on the head.

"You're awake early buddy." He hugged me closer.

"Will Heather be okay, daddy?" I frowned.

"Yes, she'll be okay."

"Is she going to be my mommy now?"I sighed, he needs a mother figure but Heather and I are far from getting married with everything that is going on. I knew he missed his mother and that he knows something isn't right with her not being here.

"Not yet buddy, do you want her to be your mommy?" He nodded eagerly.

"Heather will be the perfect mommy for me, and she makes you happy daddy." He jumped off the bed heading to the door, he left and a few minutes later he came back with an empty bowl.

"The cereal is finished." I huffed, this boy eats the same amount of food as an elephant and sometimes more. I stood up out of bed rubbing my chin sleepily.

"I'm coming." I turned my head to the side. I realized he figured out that I and his nanny had something going on, he didn't think it's strange but he's just 6 years old. A very intelligent 6-year-old.

I walked down to the kitchen and found bagels I could toast, along with some eggs and a few sausages. I heard footsteps trail down the stairs, sleepy Heather entered the kitchen. She looked hella sexy, even in sweatpants and a baggy t-shirt. She had a bit of bed hair, but still so sexy.

"Good morning Luca and Gabriele" I pouted a little, I wanted a kiss but she knew Luca was there. Oh well, he knows she and I are kind of together.

I turned around and walked a step until I was in front of her, in my arms I took her and gave her a deep kiss she pulled away and looked at Luca wide-eyed. He scrunched up his nose while taking a bite of his bagel but he didn't say anything.

"Woah what was that?"

"A kiss my dear" She rolled her eyes, it made something stir in me.

"I know that but not in front of Luca." She whispered harshly, I shrugged and whispered back in a sing-song voice.

"He knows." She gawked at me and I just shrugged, we were pretty obvious if he could notice that. It's not like he's been living under a rock and he knows how love looks, daytime television ruined his innocence in a sense.

I handed her the plate and winked at her, she was pale and thinner than I was used to. She wasn't sick anymore and she was doing fine, she just had to stay on some precautionary medicine for a while to make sure she stays this healthy. The medicine made her this thin and I knew she tried to avoid the mirror this morning, it broke my heart knowing that I did this to her.

I got dressed after breakfast, Luca came to me and looked at his shoes wanting me to help him tie them. I kneeled in front of him when Heather came in.

"I should show you a trick on how to remember that." I finished doing the one shoe when she bent down beside me taking the shoelaces in her hands. Luca was staring at her, completely bedazzled by her, just like I was.