As Clara was walking to the Prince's chambers to see what else he wanted done for him, she bumped into a man she'd never really seen before, which wasn't unusual as the castle had a vast number of workers.

"Excuse me." they mumbled.

"Do you know where the Prince's room is?" Clara perked up, her brows furrowing suspiciously.

"What's your business with him?"

"I was asked to take this to him." He showed her a book.

"I'll take it to him." She did her best to smile genuinely. "Who is it from?"

"Oh uhm," He rubbed the back of his head. "It's no trouble, I can give it to him myself, he uhh, he requested this himself."

"It's no trouble at all, I insist!" She grinned, taking the book from him. "I was on my way there anyway."

Without giving the man a chance to protest, Clara began walking to the other side of the castle, away from the prince, knowing the man would most likely follow her to find the Prince. For once, she was thankful of the young royal's laziness.

There was no way the Prince would have requested a book, and the thick layer of dust on his library was proof enough.

Clara noticed some movement from the corner of her eyes, but paid no attention to it, making sure her follower doesn't know she had noticed him.

Knowing that there's an empty guest room here, she knocked on the wooden door, waiting a few minutes as if awaiting permission before she opened the door slightly, and closed it behind her. She then let out a deep breath she didn't know she had been holding.

Her first encounter with an assassin.

Shaking her head, Clara opened the book, wanting to search it page by page, but a slightly heavy blade fell from within it.

Looking closer at the blade on the floor, she noticed a black substance covering it, as well as staining the book where it was hidden.

"Does nobody respect books?" she sighed in disappointment. She bent down to take the blade, making sure that she didn't touch it with her bare hands. Walking over to the window, she held it up, using what's left of the sun to study it.

Deciding that a stupid decision may be beneficial, she brought it closer to her face, giving it a quick sniff, before gagging and pulling it away.

"What even is this..." She shook her head. She definitely had to tell Edwin about this, and the man.

Realizing it had been quite a few minutes of her staying in this room, she decided it would be best if she were by the Prince's side, just in case. She put the blade back in the book and hid it under the fabric of her dress.

She then left the room, her hand holding the book up.

"I'll go call Sir Edwin for you, my lord." She spoke into the empty room. "He'll be here shortly, he's not far."

Just as she said that, she heard footsteps running away from there, and she smiled to herself proudly.

Looking around her before she pulled the book out from under her dress, she made sure no one was there, and then took it out and ran to where she knew Edwin would be.

The Prince was going to be furious with her, but this was more important to do first.

Clara spotted Edwin walking around the castle grounds, keeping an eye out. She sprinted over to him, calling out his name. He turned to her, surprised at her panicked expression.

"Clara, breathe." He put his hand on her shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"There," she took a deep breath. "There was a man trying to find the Prince's room, but I didn't lead him to it, I went to an empty room instead. Anyways, he wanted to take this book to him, and it had a dagger covered in some sort of poison, I don't know."

Edwin's eyes narrowed, looking at the book in his hands.

"You didn't touch it did you?" He asked, concerned.

"No, of course not." She shook her head. "I should probably go back to the prince, I'll tell you more about the man later, he ran when I came out the room and said that you were going there."

"You did well, Clara." He offered her a small smile. "I'll go talk to the king. Don't leave the Prince alone."

"I won't." she nodded. "Be careful, please."

"You too, cookie."

Hey everyone!

I want to know your thoughts on the story so far! Please comment and let me know what you think! I'd love to read your comments, whatever they may be.

Also, I made this aesthetic kinda thing for this book, it's my first time doing something like this lol.

If my work ever inspires you to draw or make something, please send it in!! I'd love to see it and reshare it (with credit and ofc your permission.)

And make sure to vote and follow for more content if you like my work <3