xiii. confusion was all he knew

if there was one thing gale learned that day, it was that percy jackson was either a) extremely lucky, or b) a literal mastermind that could outsmart minerva herself (okay, maybe that was an exaggeration) or c) a mix of both, but either way, he was out of his fucking mind, but see, that's yet to come, and gale hasn't even see the worst of it so far.

"we'll need your food," percy said, shouldering his way around phineas and snatched some of the food phineas stockpiled on his table. seeing the food made gale's stomach growl, and at that moment, the thai noodles in mac-and-cheese sauce and the tubular pastry that looked like a combination of a burrito and a cinnamon roll that percy picked up looked like the most appetizing thing he had seen in a while.

percy looked like he was resisting the urge to knock phineas senseless with the burrito. "come on, guys," he said, leading the rest of them out of the parking lot.

while they walked, gale noticed arcana constantly looking back at phineas, to a specific spot of his bathrobe, like she was expecting something to happen. he softly shouldered arcana, gaining her attention. "what's wrong?" he asked.

arcana did a double take before facing forward. "nothing. just bad vibes, that's all."

gale nodded, not fully convinced by arcana's answer, and they continued walking.

they stopped across the street, and by now the once pouring rain turned into a little halfhearted drizzle. the cold mist felt good falling on gale's face.

"that man..." hazel smacked the side of a bus-stop bench. "he needs to die. again."

ever since their talk with phineas, hazel's mood had change drastically. her once bright and outgoing attitude turned gloomy and down, which was unusual for the daughter of pluto. she looked like she was blinking back tears, what phineas said must've really hit a nerve. gale found himself despising the blind man even more now than he once did.

"we'll get him," percy promised. "he's nothing like you, hazel. i don't care what he says."

hazel shook her head, starting to get all worked up. "you don't know the whole story. i should have been sent to punishment. i- i'm just as bad-"

"no, you're not!" frank insisted, furrowing his eyebrows and clenching his fists in anger. he turned around to face the street across from them, and yelled, "she's a good person!" other than the harpies who squawked in the trees, no one else payed them any mind, hell, they probably thought they were five angsty teens going through some rebellious phase or something.

arcana took a different approach. she placed a hand on hazel's back, trying her best to comfort the younger girl. "hazel, don't listen to that old geezer, he doesn't know what he's talking about. and who cares about your past? we've all had our bad moments haze, and at the end of the day you're still hazel. no one can change that."