Chapter 21

Sophie pov

When I saw him all my emotions hit me at the same time. I was an emotional mess. There were many things I wanted to say, many things I wanted to do but none came out of my mouth. He was as handsome as ever but he had bags under his eyes, he looked tired and thin!

"Xander, you have lost weight!"

I was really happy to see him again. But also I was surprised seeing him here like this. It felt like I was a school girl meeting her childhood crush after a long time. I wanted to jump up and down with excitement.

I kept looking at him for gods knows how long. I wanted to drink in every bit of him. What if it was just a dream and he will disappear just any moment. I wanted to run in his arms but refrained.

"Sophie."

This voice cracked. Like he was about to cry. And I was hurt. I hated seeing him vulnerable. What had happened to him? Why was he in pain?

You know the reason, its 'you'.

"Xander, please have a seat. How are you here? Can I get you anything to drink?"

I just wanted him to be comfortable. I couldn't console him by hugging him like I always did. So the best thing I could do for him now was bring him coffee.

"Sophie, you do no why am I here."

And just hearing him say that bought back the memory of that night. It bought back bad memories. I remembered the reason we divorced which my heart had hidden somewhere deep. It was my defence mechanism. I always shut down the memories which brings me pain and only remember the happy times. But his words were like a trigger to my long forgotten memory. A nightmare. And they just surfaced. And again all I could feel was immense pain.

"I will get you coffee. If you still love it like you did before. The coffee here isn't awesome but its bearable."

I started moving towards my coffee machine situated outside my cabin. It was kept in the corridor. Anybody was welcome to have a cup. And most importantly I didn't want to look at him now.

"I still love everything I did before. My love for anything hasn't changed Sophie."

I know it was directed at me. And I loved him too. But it was just hurting so much. We weren't together anymore. We were just not 'seperated' but 'divorced'.

"People change and so does their choice Xander. I will get your coffee."

I wanted him to realise that there is no future for us now. We can't be together. But more than wanting him to understand, I wanted to realise it myself.

"My choice hasn't Sophie."

No Sophie. You can't.

"But my choice did. I don't drink tea anymore. In case you remember I once loved tea and hated coffee. I am now literally living off caffeine."

Because you loved coffee.

I walked outside my cabin and started preparing our coffee. But before I could collect the coffee beans I was pulled into a hard chest and next I felt lips on mine. The feeling was pure bliss. I was happy. It felt like water in desert, light in dark. I felt complete. But I couldn't do this so finally my mind won against my heart and I pushed him.

"Don't Xander"

It was hard staying away from him. All I wanted to do was stay in his arms. But this was wrong. I couldn't do that. I wanted to cry. I didn't want to be strong. I wanted to be with him. I was going crazy.

"Sophie, is this man harassing you?"

Oliver asked and they started forming a circle around us. I knew what they all were thinking but I didn't know how to react.

"No, its fine Oliver."

I had to sort this out. But I had a feeling that this was not going to end well.

"You are like my daughter Sophie. If this man is harassing you we will not let him live."

I was scared. For Xander. For his safety. Because I knew that they were not passing empty threats. My family was more than capable of harming him.

As Robert came towards Xander, I immediately came forward shielded him and without even thinking, on an impulse shouted.

"He is my husband."

When I noticed the expressions I was ashamed of myself. These people treated me like family and I didn't even share my past with them. I should have said ex-husband. Now what am I supposed to say. Should I correct myself or just stay quiet? But noting the expressions again I chose the latter.

But this man was pushing it too much. Wrapping an arm around my waist, he pulled me to his chest and planted a kiss on my forehead. This man was never a fan of PDA. So what is he doing now.

Getting on my nerves.

"She is my wife. And she loves me a lot. Don't you baby?"

Now he was definitely begging for a slow painful death. These people were already disappointed in me and this talented man was pushing all the wrong buttons. And if he doesn't shut up now, I am going to have his head on a platter and throw a fucking banquet. I was already digging my nails on his back but this man simply doesn't get a message.

I gave everyone the biggest smile, made sure to step with my heel on his toes and addressed all the eager people waiting for my response, especially this one person on my right who so badly wanted to die.

"Ofcourse, I do. Shall we go inside Xander. We. Need. To. Talk."

But all the while he was grinning like an idiot. And then I realised, I will do anything to make him smile like this.

When you like someone, you automatically like their choices too. By doing things they love, you feel close to them. Sophie drinking coffee may be a very normal thing but her emotions underneath a simple action are very deep. She tried connecting to Xander by drinking coffee. She tried experiencing what he felt when the taste of caffeine hit his taste buds. This simple action is more intimate then anything else.

What do you think about it? Do share your thoughts in the comment.