Chapter : July 4th

Y/n stirred awake to Max violently shaking them.

"Get up already. Damn, you're a deep sleeper."

Y/n laid up and looked over to Max. Max had his hand on his hip, just like David would do. He looked pretty irritated. The room also reeked of the familiar aroma of coffee more than usual. It seems as if he's tired or, like usual, addicted to his coffee.

"Do you know you have horrible bed hair?"

Y/n went to touch their hair and then looked up to Max. "Ugh. And you have overly fluffy hair, Max."

"It's annoying me. Brush it."

"Do it yourself if it's bugging you that much."

"Maybe I will. Where the hell is your brush?"

Max looks on the floor and then spots it.

"Ahah!'

He picks it up and reels back in disgust.

"I forgot it rained yesterday. The brush has mud all over it."

"Oh well, I guess you can't then," Y/N said in this joking tone. Max looked frustrated at that comment. One thing they noticed after being around Max for so long is that not just when he's flustered, but when he's mad as well, will his cheeks flush a bright red.

He looks over to something on the other side of the tent and picks it up.

"Plan B."

In Max's hand is his brush.

"Is that brush your secret on how you get your hair so fluffy?"

"Huh, never mind about that. Turn around so I can get your hair."

"This is a weird thing to wake up to in the morning. Are you sure you know what you're doing? I mean, I know you have fabulous hair and all..."

"Okay! Then I'll tell you a secret. Who do you think does Nikki's braids?"

"Umm, Nikki? Duh."

"Me, Duh," Max says mockingly.

"What? No way!"

"Uhh, Yes, way! Even if you don't believe me, don't you dare tell that to anyone."

"Even if I did say anything, you could just deny it."

"It's a secret. You're not supposed to say anything. I swear pinkie promise me you won't tell anyone."

"Pinkie promise? Don't kids do that?"

"I'm seventeen and I still do this, so shut up."

"You're seventeen? I'm only sixteen. I thought you were the same age."

"Ha, well, I'm older, hun. You better get used to it."

"What are you? A southern grandma?"

"Shut up, bitch."

"I think I prefer hun better."

"Shut up. We need to get ready. You seemed to have a nice sleep. It's about five a.m.; you slept around ten hours."

He combs the brush through their knotted hair.

"He'll be leaving any minute now and I need my hoodie back. I forgot my pocket knife was in there."

Y/N shuffles through Max's hoodie pocket and pulls out the pocket knife.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot you had a pocket knife for a minute."

"Put that back. You can give me my hoodie back once I finish your hair."

"Can I still steal your clothes?"