Chapter Five | Beckett and Lawn Bowling

Lady Hutton was nothing like Beckett imagined she would be

Lady Hutton was nothing like Beckett imagined she would be. She was scintillating, entertaining, clever.

And if Beckett was going to be forced to stay in the godforsaken house with its stuffy inhabitants, he decided he might as well find what little joy he could. And if there was anything that he enjoyed, even in the slightest, it was provoking Lady Hutton until her quick wit got stuck in her throat.

She did not hesitate to unleash her tongue, but Beckett was rather fond of watching what happened when he unleashed his own back. She wasn't prepared for that. She seemed to be ready for everything except for that.

Beckett thrived off the unexpected. While he hadn't liked this unexpected mission, he'd learned that most adventures couldn't ever be planned or predicted.

Lady Hutton did not seem to have the same philosophy. This house party was planned expertly. Every little bit of the day was scheduled, precise and organized. Down to the very last crumpet and cup of tea.

Beckett did not operate that way. But fortunately, it allowed for him to make quick work of determining where his assignment was located at every moment. Which is how he ended up standing on the back lawn, watching as a game of lawn bowling got underway. Women flounced about, gathering the necessary tools for it on the far side. But Penelope looked on, standing along the edges of the garden. Waiting and watching.

Today she wore a frilly sage green frock with a floral overlay that made her appear as summer incarnate. Beckett frowned. She had not worn a single color that might indicate mourning. How long had it been since her husband passed?

"There you are, my lady," he sighed, striding up behind her.

She popped into the air. And as she twirled to face him, those big blue eyes collided with his gaze. Nearly knocking him off my feet.

"What the heavens are you doing here, Colonel?" she said, resting her hand upon her bosom like she was suffering heart palpitations. Beckett tried not to allow his gaze to linger upon just how deeply she was breathing and just how little her summery gown allowed for such breathing.

"What do you mean, my lady?"

He wondered when she would get it into her smart little head that he would be going everywhere she went.

Beckett did not imagine that Adelaide had honestly expected him to tail the woman as if she were a suspect in a crime. But he was rather bored, and Penelope was rather entertaining. Not to mention that he could see precisely what Lord and Lady Farrington had alluded to regarding her precocious and inquisitive nature.

It was only a matter of time before this woman got herself into trouble.

"I believe my question was quite clear," she retorted.

Beckett smiled. "I am here because you are here, Lady Hutton."

She frowned, flashing him a reprimand in the form of a glare. "Penelope."