Chapter Nine | Beckett and Rescue Missions

"Do you reckon he knows?" Beckett muttered

Although he very much did not wish to have this conversation with Lord Farrington, he very much wished to know what the man thought about the current situation. That situation being how Lord fancy-pants Lawton had just whisked Penelope out from under them and was now walking her through the facets of a gun as though she'd never seen one before.

If her father truly taught her the mechanics growing up, she likely did not need a teaching like he was giving her. But she was smiling and nodding as if she were truly fascinated.

"Do I reckon he knows what?" Leo asked.

Beckett managed to remove his gaze from Penelope and Lawton to glance over at Farrington. His arms were crossed as he watched the scene, too. But he did not seem concerned. More...annoyed. Perhaps a little amused.

"That we are watching him," Beckett said bluntly. Was this man that daft? "That we suspect him."

"Oh," Leo exclaimed with a wave of his hand. "No, I very much do not think that is what is on his mind."

His blue eyes narrowed, and Beckett followed his line of vision to see Lawton brushing hair off Penelope's shoulder. But his eyes were definitely not focused on her hair. They were focused on her bosom, which was pressed very tightly into a lilac gown today. And until this moment, Beckett had done quite a good job at not looking too closely at it. At her.

They had managed to go a whole two days without another incident. For two full days, Penelope had been fully clothed within his presence.

But it would seem that it did not matter. Because Beckett's memories were taunting him. Even though she had clothes on, Beckett had a perfect image in his brain of Penelope without them. And it did not help that her gowns were not modest in the least.

"You think he has something else on his mind?" Beckett grumbled.

"Don't you?"

Beckett nodded in agreement.

Penelope took that moment to laugh uncharacteristically loud at something Lawton said, swatting him on the upper arm.

"Oh, Pen," Leo sighed. "You are playing a dangerous game, my dear."

Beckett gritted his teeth at the satisfaction on Lawton's face.

"I have half a mind to go pull her away," Leo added, and Beckett assumed he noticed Lawton's look as well.

"As do I."

Beckett did not know how much longer he could stand here and watch this.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Leo turn, watching him with curiosity. Before the man could say anything, though, Beckett cut him off.

"I did not take you as the overprotective type, Lord Farrington." He cleared his throat. "Not for a lady that is not your own and a grown, widowed one at that."