| Chapter Twenty Two

I lower my head, thinking over everything displayed. I remember my head injury, the hospital, and all the therapy I had to endure. Joe was with me every step of the way, making sure I was okay. And once I was healed and ready to live again, I met Emery. She was just there, standing next to an ice cream truck.

Instantly, I was in love. I wanted to save her summer's day treat.

Just like I need to save her now.

Elizabeth moves around Joe to stand in front of Emery and me. I clench my jaw as she looks down at my wife. "Believe me when I say it hurt to be away, it really did. But I stayed away for as long as I could." She sighs. "When I decided to come back, I knew it wouldn't be easy. So, I changed myself and everything that was related to me. I thought that if I erased myself from existence, and came back like deja vu, you would suddenly remember me and come looking for me."

"Instead..." She reaches out to touch Emery's cheek and I slap her hand away. Hard. Her gaze lifts and she looks at me through hooded eyes. "I end up finding out that not only did you move on and profess your love to this rebound, but you also married her, too. You both were suddenly living a dream life, while I was left in the cold."

I pull Emery's chair back. The feet scratch against the floor, screeching loudly. Elizabeth takes a step forward, closing the gap I tried to create.

With a menacing grin, she says, "So, I thought, maybe a little revenge was in order. A little payback."

My mind freezes. My heart stops. Revenge? Why?

When I look down at Emery, she isn't looking at me. My wife is looking ahead, her body trembling as she watches Elizabeth's sinister smile.

"I thought that if your wife lost all of her memories and couldn't remember you, you'd have no choice but to move on and leave her. I mean, that's what I did for you. Gave you your space. I figured then you'd go out and try to find another woman." She covers her face and laughs. "I planned on being that other woman, you know? That maybe we could stumble across each other again, start this love-thing over."

"You're sick," I hiss, pulling Emery further back. "Are you saying you did this?"

I can't figure out how she could've done it. She wasn't there that day during Emery's Alt-Life session; I knew everyone clocked in for the morning shift. Right?

No, don't question it.

Biting the insides of my cheek, I growl, "You hurt my Emery?"

"Oh, your Emery," she scoffs, rolling her eyes. She glances back at Joe as he tries to rock in his chair. She doesn't stop him, as if she's enjoying his struggle.

Looking back at me, she lifts her chin. "Everything is always for Emery. But what about Kimberly, huh? What about little Kim-bo?"

Joe's chair shakes so hard, it dips, and falls, his head colliding with the floor. The sound of his pained cry echoes in the sudden silence, and I want to run and help him. But I can't. Elizabeth stands between him and me.

Be okay, Joe!

Turning back, Elizabeth looks down at him. "You think you were the only one super tech-savvy, Joe? Do you think you're so skilled?" She chuckles, clicking her tongue against her teeth "Try being a new alt-life intern, meddling with programming and headgear. Do you know how hard it was to make sure Rayna grabbed those spheres? It took so much convincing."

When she looks back at me, it hits me. I didn't know everyone who clocked in that day. I was too excited to worry about who was helping me during the session. My only concern had been giving Emery her biggest dream; a chance of sky-diving.

I hadn't questioned the new girl in the equipment office handing out spheres and materials. I took them without asking questions.

Because I wasn't paying attention, I did this to my wife? I hurt Emery.

The insides of my palm begin to sweat.

"Every part of those spheres was defective and meant to malfunction. I made sure every circuit would erupt with mems contact." Elizabeth covers her lips. Her eyes widen. "Honestly, for a second I thought I would kill her because I didn't know how far it would go. Luckily, she lived, but I didn't think you'd stick by her side."

When she faces me, I tense. I look around. Think, think, Ray.

"Should I have done that with you?" She looks remorseful, guilt-ridden. "Should I have stayed with you? You would've remembered me?"

I glance back at the kitchen. It's there, so close. And weapons. So many choices. The knives. The skewers. I only need one.

"It hurts me a lot to hurt you. But Ray, you hurt me first..."

Stick with her story. Play her game.

I don't look at her as I respond, "We were kids..."

"Kids or not, our love was real. Is real. Didn't you see? Did you see how happy you were? The only person good for you is me." There is so much emotion in her words, "Let me be good to you."

Rule number seven, never pull away. If the memories have loaded, keep the momentum. Keep the client happy.

"Good? Things happen." I eye my best weapon. There is a knife on the table, just a few feet away.

Emery must have never put it back after cooking dinner the other night. This is perfect. If I run fast, I can grab it faster than she can do damage. I can stop her and this... this... insanity,

"They do," Elizabeth says, reaching down to touch Joe. Her thumb brushes across his cheek.

Good. Distractions. Now is my chance.

"Things always happen and ruin the straight path. But I think if we work together, we can fix it. We can rid ourselves of the alternative and bring back the primary option. Bring us back."

I look down at Emery. Tears continue to well up in her eyes. But with a deep breath, a stern look in my eyes, I hope Emery understands my silent commands; she needs to stay quiet, she cannot let Elizabeth know I am moving away from her. A sniff from my wife means she understands; at least, that's what I need it to mean,

With Elizabeth still focused on Joe, I step away. I'm three steps into the kitchen when Joe and I lock eyes.

"Life..." Elizabeth doesn't look back at me. She moves sweaty strands of hair away from Joe's face. "I may have done some awful things, but you know what it's like to be forgotten. The need to be remembered. You know how much it hurts."

The knife glows under the ceiling light. I stretch my hand out, fingers itching to touch it.

"All I ever wanted was for you to love me and make new memories with me. I wanted to be your Kim-bo again."

My fingers touch the hilt, slowly wrapping around its faux leather. When I pull back, the metal makes a small squeak against the table. I freeze.

"Don't you understand, Rayna?"

I can't decide whether to turn around slow or fast.

"Can't you just love me?"

|||