Chapter - 2

The retreating figure of the small family made me think about mine for a minute.

Where could my family be? Are they even alive?

The pack is my family, no doubt. But none of them are related to me biologically. I mean how can a half breed vampire be biologically related to a pack of full and half blooded werewolves? That was the logic which got me to question Aunt Sim about my parentage when I was 3 and a half.

Now how does a child that young can differentiate among biological parentage details? Well I was actually over 10 years old by that time.

As we all know vampires don't age at all. They are stuck at the age they were turned. Half vampires, on the other hand, age more or less 3 times faster than normal humans. Half breeds mature completely by the chronological age of 8 years. After that the aging process slows down and we stop aging further within a year.

Then on, a half vampire can live as long as 200-300 years on the basis of the biologically set age range of their respective vampire parent. Half vampires aren't affected by diseases, so we almost live up to our genetically determined lifespan. Almost because there's always accidents and murders and such life threatening attacks. Aunt had educated me on my vampiric features since I was chronologically 1 and a half years old.

Aunt Sim adopted me when I was a baby. When I asked her about my real parents, she said they were dead. A rogue werewolf killed them. She rescued me from the spot and took me in.

When she explained all this, the anger and hatred in her voice for that rogue didn't go unnoticed by my 10 year old self. Hence, I asked her to explain further, emphasizing on the thought that was if she personally knew that rogue.

That's when she started crying. I never pushed her on the matter further for the next 2 years, until one day she came by herself to confess.

I know there are a lot of questions bothering you about your parents and my relationship with them. I think you are old enough to understand now. So I  am gonna tell you the complete story.

Your parents were an odd couple. Your father was a vampire and your mother was a human. They fell in love during their college days. That's when my pack moved into the town.

My younger twin brother, Samar, took an instant liking to your mother, Disha, and wanted her for himself. That lead to his jealousy towards your father, Aditya, which intensified the hatred and natural enmity that exists between vampires and werewolves.

He was successful in tearing them apart, only for Disha to lose her memories. To bring back her memories, Samar convinced your mother's friend, Sonali, that he has moved on from his feelings about Disha and wanted to help her genuinely. They convinced Adi to come back and help them bring back Disha's memories. To look genuine, he even pretended to be in love with Sonali.

When your mother's memories came back, Samar extracted a specific piece of information from her, that was forgotten earlier, in the disguise of a friend which he used against our enemies. He prepared a potion that had the power to turn a vampire into a human. After that he himself made Disha forget that information with the help of a nomad Witch, so no one would ever know his secret weapon.

He made Adi drink it first as a trial, promising him a better future with Disha as a human. In reality, he planned to take down your father once he became a human as that way, the vampire council won't take any actions against him.

The potion at his disposal made him a threat to all vampires. It also made him more worthy than me to become an Alpha. Taking the final step, he challenged me for the position of the Alpha.