26: Now or Never

It was past midnight when Erden sighted the hunting grounds campsite through the trees. Throughout the journey down the mountain, he and Snow dared not speak to each other within earshot of their captors, who boxed them in with their horses to make escape an impossibility.

Erden eyed each soldier, surreptitiously taking note of the number of arrows they had in their quivers. If he were riding alone with his weapons, he figured he might be able to make a break for it. He could ride hard through the trees and turn around in the saddle to take out his pursuers with bow and arrow. He had faith in his trusty steed to get him away relatively unscathed. It depended on how determined his pursuers were and their marksmanship.

However, he had no weapon on him, and he wasn't so sure his horse could carry both of them at speed for long. He'd probably have a few arrows lodged in his back before they got very far. It wasn't himself he was concerned about, it was Snow, whom he feared could not sustain any more injuries to her person. If an arrow struck her, he might as well get off his horse and let them cut him down.

He looked to the front of the entourage. Weilong was similarly hemmed in at all sides, the soldiers' horses almost touching his. If only Brother did not acquiesce so easily, he thought bitterly. How are we going to get out of this?

Even if he were to get help from the chancellor and advisors, they all bowed down to the Empress. There was no telling what she'd do to Snow, now that it has been revealed that she tried to kill her. All he could do was wait for the right time to make their move. And it had to happen soon, for once they reached the campsite which was teeming with soldiers and guards, there would really be no means of escape.

What were they going to do if they somehow managed to flee? They'd be fugitives on the run, moving from village to village like wanted bandits evading capture. They would not be able to cross borders, and posters of their faces would be plastered everywhere for every guard, soldier or bounty hunter to see.

Is that the life he wanted for Snow? At the very least, she will be alive and free. I would rather die than witness Snow being tortured or kneeling before the executioner's block!

Erden held her against his body. She was exhausted, judging by the way her head lolled against his chest. For a brief moment, he worried that she had returned to the state they found her in, and that her coming back to life was only a fleeting miracle, if he could call it that. A terrible knife-like pain stabbed him in the heart. She came back from the dead to suffer a worse fate because of me! I led them to her!

They had to attempt an escape. He shook her gently awake when they were within meters of the forest edge and placed her hands on the reins. "Whatever happens to me, you keep riding," he whispered.

"No! Not without you!" came her hushed reply.

"You must!"

"What's going on?" the soldier next to them said, and the rest of the party turned to look at them. Their gazes were suddenly disrupted by a shout.

"Hark! General Liang seeks an audience with the First Prince!" A lone, uniformed rider galloped at full speed towards the campsite.

Isn't General Liang stationed at the southern border? Why would the general come all the way here looking for Brother?

"The General!" a soldier exclaimed, and the rest of the men murmured their surprise. Heads turned towards Weilong.

Erden had no time to ponder any further. They're distracted! It's now or never! He stood up on his stirrups and punched the nearest man in the face before kicking him in the side. With a yelp, the soldier toppled out of the saddle and hung halfway off his horse with his foot caught in the stirrup.