Part 49

Halcyon's POV.

For our racing date, I decided on a leopard print skirt that stops before my thighs and a New York brown sweater and pair that with some brown sneakers I found in the wardrobe at Tamir's place.

He too isn't just in a suit, he's just in a simple shirt and jeans. "Here," he hands me car keys as we stop in front of a black car. "You know how to drive, now all you have to do is win."

"We're seriously doing this huh?" I take the keys and he opens the door for me then I get in putting my bag in the passenger seat, I put the keys in and start the engine before rolling my window down to him.

"I'll take this car," he nods to the parked car stationed next to us. "Rules are you can run any red light, don't even stress about it."

"Are you sure were not going to-"

"Told you not to stress about it my love," he cuts me off and I nod. "You go from here into the city then your shop and the first one back wins. Easy." I nod once more and he leans in to kiss me. "Good luck sweetheart."

"Thank you," I watch him get into his car then I look out front griping the leather. "Okay," I breath out, "just beat him." I glance over at him, he's already watching making me even more nervous. We have the same car, we'll start at the same time, it's all about the driver.

"Ready?!" I turn back to the front, when did Kent get there?! "Set..." I shift my gear and ready myself to press the gas pedal. "Go!" I accelerate, my heart going at the same speed.

This road is wide, but I know it won't stay that long, I need to get in front before it thinners and I'm stuck on his tail. That's easier said then done, I glance over at Tamir and he's showing me no mercy whatsoever.

"Come on!" He speeds past me and I try catching up, I do catch up but he already has me on his ass. I need to get around, and I need to do it soon. I try to go around him as an attempt but he only blocks me by getting in my path, I speed up.

The path narrows and I'm exactly where I didn't want to be with both of us going at high speed. As soon as the path widens I waste no time and speed to get in front of him flying past stop panels.

He's stuck in my sight and I'm not getting much luck on my end.

I know, there's a short cut I could use that will get me in the city in no time, with my luck he can stay in front of me all he wants as soon as he's out my way I get speed up some more.

Truth is, I don't mind paying for the tattoos, I just really want to beat him at something, anything. Welcome to my mafia sweetheart. I want to hear those words, one more time, I want to hear them.

There! There's the turn to the shortcut, whether he takes it or not I'll still make the turn, I'll beat him. Just this once.

I take a sharp left losing sight of him and continue to race off. In the distance I see a green light turn orange and then the closer I get the more I realize I'm not going to make it in the orange zone. You can run any red light. The words come back to me.

I don't slow down only getting faster and race right past it. There's nothing as far as I can see, no cars, no one crossing, nothing. I run it.

The rush waves over me. "I just ran a red light!" It's a first for me but who am I kidding, Tamir has a habit of taking a few of my firsts. "Now to best him at his own game." I speed into the city.

I have no time to waste, this is getting tense and I have yet to see him reappear so I need to keep going assuming I'm in the lead. The city is trafficked and I try wheeze my way out as fast as I can.

The minute I do I'm speeding back up and the second I let my eyes dart to my rear view mirror is the second I see him, Tamir is speeding up on me. Looks like I got the lead after all.

My heart skips at the thought of beating him, I keep my speed up and take a right in the direction of my shop following the route he gave me. I check once more to see he's still trialing me.

Wait.

No just him, another car. I look back then feel my car drift away and I go back to driving. "What the-" I speed up some more and check my mirror, three cars now. "No.." this can't be Tamir, he didn't mention anything to me about his men joining the race.

I lead the cars on a few more false routes to see I'm definitely getting followed.

"No no no no no no," I rush my words out. This can't be happening, if I'm getting followed this can get really bad. "Carp!" I drive for my purse digging for my phone while trying to keep my eyes on the road. "Come on!" Worry pumps through my body then I finally feel the tip of my phone and I grab it.

With no time, I speed dial his number. First ring he picks up. "Don't tell me your losing." I can tell by his tone he's happy and I'm just about to ruin that.

"You're not behind me are you?" I put him on speaker dropping my phone in the cup holder and take a right trying to lose them.

"Where are you?" His tone has gone cold.

"There's three cars behind me!" My eyes sting and I feel my bottom lip quiver. "I thought it was you-"

"Your location!" He demands and I blink hard feeling burning trials down my cheeks.

"I don't know!" I run a red light.

"Look around!"

"Um," I start to look for a sign. "Melvin-Malcom! I just passed Malcom avenue! Do you know where that is?!"

"Stay in front of them, I'll call you back."

"Don't hang-" he hangs up. "Oh shit!" I sniff back tears and blink to get a clearer view. "Stay in front of them," I repeat to myself a few more time speeding up.