Chapter 12

Chuuya ran as fast as he could, searching for the room his partner has been in until he spotted one with white gas coming out of it not too far away. ''DAZAI !'' He bolted to the room, then his eyes widened at the sight before him.

The brunet had blood all over him, on his arms, his torso, his jaw, his lips, everywhere. There was no sign of life to be seen in him. ''DAZAI !!'' Chuuya rushed over and broke the cuffs with the help of his ability. Dazai's body fell into his arms, limp.

After carrying him out of the room, Chuuya gently put him down before he cupped his partner's face with both hands while he called his name again and again.

But Dazai responded with absolute silence.

*

Kouyou was still fighting Kigami. Both of them were visibly tired. Then Chuuya appeared behind Kouyou. ''Hey.'' Kouyou turned her head around to look at him. At the distraction, Kigami took the chance as he knocked her out cold with his barrier. Then Chuuya smirked at him.

''Let's get out of here, Kigami.'' It wasn't Chuuya, it was Kyora who had been watching them fight from a distance away, hiding. ''But how are we gonna do that? The mafia is all over the place.'' ''We have to try ,'' Kyora said as he began running towards the staircase leading upstairs.

But they underestimated how fast the mafia could wipe out all the mercenaries on both the first and second sublevel. In a hallway, the two were surrounded by some mafia men, some in front of Kigami and some in front of Kyora, as the two stood back to back.

Kigami's ability could make bullets get rebounded, causing them to bounce back hitting the enemy themselves. But his barrier could only cover one direction, only one of them would be able to get out alive in this case, and he's made his decision. Right before the mafia fired their weapons, he said to his stepbrother. ''Kyora, run !''

His barrier appeared in front of Kyora, killing the enemy with their own ammo, opening a path for him to escape.

This...this means that...

Bullets went through Kigami's skin, blood streaming down from his injuries, but he was still standing, he was shielding Kyora with his own body. ''Go... Ky-- Kyora.'' Kyora hesitated, but he ran as fast as he could before more gunshots could be heard, tears dripping down his chin.

*

Kouyou woke up minutes after she was hit, just in time to see Chuuya pacing to her, carrying Dazai in his arms before him, one hand under the back of the brunet's knees, one behind his shoulders. ''He's still... he's still alive !'' He panted heavily, anxiety visible in his eyes.

Dazai's head was positioned at the front of his shoulder, he could feel weak breaths slightly tickling his neck. The woman was shocked at how bad his condition was. ''Let's go.'' She led Chuuya upstairs, telling the other members to find the culprits, no matter dead or alive. They had finally passed through the trapdoor when Chuuya suddenly stopped.

Kouyou also stopped and turned to him as soon as she realized. ''What's wrong, Chu-- '' Her eyes widened in shock. The boy was at the verge of crying. ''I--I can't... I can't feel it anymore... I can't feel him... I can't feel him breathing anymore.'' His voice broke at the end of his sentence.

''Let's get going, Chuuya, the ambulance is not far away. He'll be okay, he's strong, you know that better than anyone else ,'' she tried encouraging the panicking teenager. Chuuya's eyes lingered on his partner for a moment before turning back to face her. He nodded and rushed forward.

Stay with me, Dazai... stay with me... please... please stay...

He eventually got him to the paramedics. Kouyou stayed at the marina while Chuuya remained by his partner's side. In the rushing ambulance, paramedics used a ventilator, a machine attached to an oxygen cylinder, to help Dazai take in oxygen and breath again. Seconds have passed, almost a minute. But to Chuuya it felt like it has been forever. He sat on a bench by the side, fists gripped his own pants tight on his lap as he was looking at the teenager lying before him.

Come on... you can do it... you have to... please...

*

Kouyou took out her phone and dialed a number. He answered the call immediately as if he was waiting for her call. ''Boss ,'' she addressed. ''How are the boys ?'' Mori asked. ''Chuuya's fine, but I can't say the same for Dazai.'' The other end stayed silent for a while.

''I see. What about the enemy ?'' ''My men killed Kigami, he seemed to have sacrificed himself for his brother. The scientist was found dead in the control room. Judging from his corpse, he must have slit his own throat open with his scalpel. Kyora, on the other hand, was no where to be found.'' ''Mm, destroy the yacht, and I'm gonna need your report on this whole event.'' ''Yes boss.''

Kouyou hung up and ordered her men to burn the ship down along with the many dead bodies in it before the police arrive.