We Found Him

A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That's why they don't get what they want.

"Dad?" LJ called into the house Monday morning.

"He had to go to work early. Ellie may have found a break in your case," Val spoke from the couch where she was working.

"Who's our security detail?" LJ asked, surprised that her dad would leave them.

"A few off-duty Secret Service agents," Fornell smiled, stepping in from the kitchen, "Hi, I'm Tobias, a friend of your dad's."

"FBI?" LJ asked, trying to sort the friends her dad had mentioned.

"Yeah, that's me," Tobias chuckled, "Can I make you something to eat before we head to NCIS?"

"Tony dropped a breakfast shake off for you on his way to work," Val commented, not taking her eyes off her laptop.

"I'll just take the shake. I want to get to the Navy Yard as quickly as possible" LJ smiled shyly.

LJ quickly drank her breakfast and finished getting ready for the day. LJ knew that Gibbs would only leave her with the best people protecting her, but she didn't like not being close to her dad right now. As they exited the house and LJ locked the front door, the hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. He was close and knew Leilani's dad wasn't around.

"He's close," LJ whispered to Val as they walked down the front steps to the SUV

"How do you know?" Val whispered back.

"I can feel it in my gut," LJ replied, stepping closer to Fornell, "I hope I can trust you because this guy is close."

"You inherited the Gibbs gut, I see," Fornell smiled warmly, "We'll get you there as quickly as possible, no matter what."

"Thank you," LJ replied as he closed the SUV door.

The team of people quickly whisked LJ through the streets of DC to the Navy Yard, all while watching for a tail. If they could just catch one detail of the guy's vehicle, they may be able to connect it back to a name. LJ prayed silently as she watched the city go by that she wouldn't let this entire nightmare impact her ability to do her job. When they finally reached the Navy Yard thirty minutes late, LJ and Val breathed a sigh of relief.