Part 18

(Emily's POV)

The nerves are building as I stare out of the window at the passing trees. According to Alex we entered Silvermoon pack territory a good ten miles ago. The greenery continues to whistle by as I tune out his and Jake's conversation and try to still my fluttering stomach. I keep pushing Rain's words out of my head but somehow they swim back, and the closer we get to actually meeting the pack the more the slight panic that I won't be able to do this keeps rearing its ugly head.

Alex's hand in mine gives a reassuring squeeze as we turn off the main road. I smile back at him but then return to my window watch as we take another turn.

Soon buildings and further turnings start to spring up as we continue down the road until we enter a large driveway approaching a huge white mansion. The car comes to a stop and Alex runs around to open my door, taking my hand once more as I step out. Just as I try to absorb my surroundings the front door opens and a tall blonde comes running out squealing with excitement. She runs towards us and Jake opens up his arms in greeting but she bypasses him completely and leaps at me.

"Oh my God, you're here, I'm so excited to meet you." She practically screams hugging me tight. I glance at Alex in bewilderment and somewhat awkwardly raise my hands to return her hug. Just as I'm wondering who the hell this is Jake speaks, "No greeting for me then, how charming."

She breaks away grinning, and turns to give him the quickest peak on the lips, "Hi babe, missed you." Then she's already back looking at me absolutely beaming. "Oh my gosh, you're so pretty. She's so pretty Alex."

Things click into place, "You must be Jess" I say.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry, I didn't even introduce myself. Yes, I'm Jess, hi, sorry. I probably shouldn't have just jumped on you like that. I just can't believe you're here. This is so exciting. Everyone's dying to meet you...

"Alright Jess, slow it down. Give her a moment." Alex says as he slips his arm around my waist.

This is already so overwhelming and I've only met one person.

"Right, sorry. You're probably tired from your journey too. Have you eaten? There's food in the kitchen."

Jess looks at me expectantly. I am hungry but look at Alex nervously, "Are there other people in the kitchen?"

"Err..." Jess hesitates glancing at Alex with their silent way of communicating. "Nope, just us."

I breathe a slight sigh of relief but also immediately feel guilty. I've only been here two minutes and already I'm struggling with this whole Luna leader thing. I'm such a coward I don't even want to meet people on my first day.

"Come on let's eat and then I'll give you a tour." Says Alex as Jess and Jake link hands and lead the way. He leans down to whisper in my ear, "Sorry about Jess she can be a bit OTT but she means well. Just relax baby. Everyone's gonna love you."

I nod and remind myself there's plenty of time. I don't need to meet everyone and settle in immediately. And if nothing else at least I know I'm welcome if Jess' enthusiasm is anything to go by.

When we enter the kitchen there's an entire buffet of food which Jake is already tucking into. This is way more food than four people could possibly eat and I feel bad that this was clearly meant for a much larger gathering. I suspect that either Alex or Jess mindlinked them and told them to quickly leave before we entered the house. Oh God they probably think I'm incredibly rude or stuck up now.

Despite my hunger I can only pick at the food, my stomach still churning with nerves and the thought that I've already let Alex down. Alex's tries to encourage me but doesn't push too much. I'm grateful for Jess' never ending chatter on the other side of the table as it takes the focus off me. But when Alex asks if I want a tour or to just go to our room and rest, I take a deep breath and determine to find some courage. "Let's tour" I say with a smile.

Jess asks if she can come with us and I agree eagerly. While she overwhelmed me a little with her greeting I want her to become a friend.

Alex starts off in the large house which we're already in. While it looks like a house it's more of a community centre. A huge hall is empty at the moment but Jess says that there's always events like games night, bingo and dance classes as well as parties for special occasions. The kitchen is like one of those huge professional restaurant ones, though Alex insists that dinner is usually a casual affair and that anyone can help themselves to anything anytime. There's a lounge area full of sofas and cosy looking armchairs but also a separate cinema room. More rooms house pool tables and table football and even a bowling alley. And best of all there's a library which takes my breath away. I spin around in complete awe as I look at the floor to ceiling bookshelves. "Knew you'd like this room" beams Alex.

I shake my head stunned, "I love it."

Looking out of the window Alex points at the gardens and enormous swimming pool where I can see a children's swimming lesson going on but rather than head that way Alex leads us across to a building to the left of the community centre. Inside is a two level gym. One level full of every kind of exercise machine you can think of and the ground floor an open space with sparing mats. There are several wolves training but they stop when we enter to greet their Alpha. My mouth grows dry as they turn to me but remembering my resolve to be brave in the face of my social nerves I smile at them warmly.

They bow deeply and introduce themselves, every single one of them smiles and is polite and says how pleased they are to meet me.

Not wanting to appear rude I make sure to reply to every single one of them and after a few minutes it all seems less scary. I relax slightly as Alex, Jess and Jake join in the conversation. Another girl comes over and Jess introduces her as her younger sister Alice. She's less boisterous than her sister but seems really nice and soon the conversation is flowing so naturally it's like I've known them both for ages.

Eventually Kane, who I've learnt is one of Alex's generals, recalls everyone back to training and we move on.

As Alex continues to show me round the main compound more people approach but I'm less nervous now and feel my confidence growing with every interaction. It helps that every face greets me with a smile, from the eldest residents to the youngest. They all seem utterly delighted with my presence. I've never felt so welcomed and immediately accepted.

Later that evening when Alex asks if I want to eat dinner in the main dining room or privately in our own house (which is just behind the community centre and absolutely huge by the way, with four guest bedrooms in addition to our own master suite, our own walk in wardrobe, gigantic bathroom and balcony) I actually jump at the chance to go to the main hall and interact with everyone again.

The room is jam packed and it's a long evening as more and more people arrive and want to meet me but I surprise myself by having such a good time and staying right until the end, only retiring back home with Alex at close to midnight.

As we lie in bed Alex strokes my hair behind my ear and simply asks, "Happy?"

And I smile and nod back, "happy."

Eek only 5 more chapters left (plus an epilogue) 

Please don't forget to comment and vote :) Thank you!