chapter 27

you spend the next few days going to your classes, studying, and spending time with jack before he leaves.

it's now jack's last day. it's a saturday, so you go out for an early breakfast.

jack puts his luggage in the trunk. he looks exhausted, wearing sweatpants and a hoodie. you're dressed the same.

jack drives you both to your favorite spot for breakfast: keke's.

the hostess seats you both in a booth. she brings you both glasses of water.

"i'll fly you out to any home games you want you know." says jack, sipping his water.

"yes i'm aware. you've told me a million times."

"i just want you to come to a least one game." jack pleads.

"i will."

jack glares at you.

"i will! i'll go to games that are on the weekend."

"ah. okay." jack says, pulling his phone out of his pocket.

"what are you doing?"

"seeing when our first weekend game is."

you roll your eyes at him. he's so cute.

"ah ha! october 23."

"i'll be there." you say.

...

the time you've both been dreading has arrived. jack pulls into a parking spot at the airport, unlocks the trunk, and turns the car off.

he sighs before getting out of the car. he looks at you, and you look back, but you wish you didn't. he looks so sad.

you rub his arm, and he gives you a small smile.

jack takes his bags out of the trunk. he didn't bring too much, so you're just standing next to him, not sure whether to help or not.

jack closes the trunk and turns around to face you.

"well-"

you cut jack off with a hug, tears forming in both of your eyes.

after what feels like forever, you break away from the hug.

"see you october 23rd." you say.

jack's eyes light up. he wipes his tears away.

"see you october 23rd." he kisses you.

"oh no."

"what?"

"my flight leaves in 10 minutes."

"well go!"

jack picks up his luggage and runs into the doors of the airport, not breaking eye contact with you.

when jack disappears through the doors, you take a deep breath and get in the driver's seat and drive yourself back to school.