The Crossroads of Destiny

Y/N's POV
"Who thought when we came to this city as refugees, that I'd end up owning my own tea shop? Follow your passion, Zuko, and life will reward you."

"Congratulations, uncle."

"I'm very thankful."

"You deserve it. The Jasmine Dragon will be the best tea shop in the city."

"No, I'm thankful because you decided to share this special day with me. It means more than you know."

Zuko pulled Iroh into a hug before pulling away and smiling, "now let's make these people some tea!"

"Yes! Let's make some tea!"

It was a wholesome moment, there was no denying it, but Zuko was acting suspiciously out of character.

The opening of Iroh's tea shop went brilliantly, and we were soon visited by a messenger from the royal palace.

As Iroh read the scroll, his eyes lit up, "I... I can't believe it."

"What is it, uncle?"

"Great news! We've been invited to serve tea to the Earth King!"

Iroh invited me to come with them, but I insisted that this was a moment I believed would be better for them to share with each other.

When the time came around and they left for the royal palace, I was left alone in the apartment, with the tea shop closed and all.

I had this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach as I went about my day in the house, something felt very off.

Almost like I was being watched-

"So, you're the air bender that Zuzu has been rendezvousing with?"

-and I was right.

I wasn't even scared, I was expecting something like this to happen, it was more so that I couldn't be bothered to deal with it.

I glanced over at the girl emerging from the doorway, reaching for my staff on the table, before calmly replying, "and you're the crazy sister?"

"There's no need for that, actually, I have a offer that I know you'll be interested in."

She was leaning against the doorframe with her arms crossed, but I picked up my staff anyway and raised an eyebrow at her, "I'm listening."

I slid down into the crystal catacombs behind the fire princess and the dai li as they quickly detained Iroh using their bending.

"I expected this kind of treachery from uncle, but Zuko? Prince Zuko? You're a lot of things, but you're not a traitor, are you?"

His eyes widened as they met mine, "Y/N... what are you doing with-" he didn't finish his sentence as he turned back to his sister, "release him immediately."

She ignored his request, "it's not too late for you, Zuko, you can still redeem yourself."

Iroh shouted over, "the kind of redemption she offers is not for you!"

"Why don't you let him decide, uncle? I need you Zuko. I've plotted every move of this day, this glorious day in Fire Nation history, and the only way we win is together. At the end of this day, you will have your honour back. You will have father's love, you will have everything you want."

I couldn't look Iroh in the eye as he pleaded with his nephew, "Zuko, I am begging you, look into your heart and see what it is that you truly want."

Azula dismissed the dai li and told Zuko, "you are free to choose", leaving me behind as she advanced further into the cave.

After a few moments he looked at me and muttered, "I don't understand."

I took a deep breath before explaining, "whether you join the princess or not, Ba Sing Se isn't safe for either of you anymore. It's been infiltrated by the Fire Nation- if you don't resist then you can both go home, Princess Azula gave me her word. She even said I can come back with you, she-"

"Y/N, don't be deceived by Princess Azula, she is not to be trusted."

"What choice do I have, Iroh? There's not going to be anything left here worth clinging onto after today. Don't you want to stop running away from everything?"

"Y/N! Think about the evil that is being done! This is exactly the same as what happened to the air benders!"

I snapped back, "this is not the same! I just- Iroh, I don't have anywhere to go! I just want to be safe. I want you guys to be safe. I don't want to lose you!"

Okay, I was being selfish.

I just wanted the people I cared about to come out of this mess alive. I didn't want to lose anyone else.

I argued back and forth with Iroh while Zuko ran off to find his sister, and when I finally did join them, Aang was in the avatar state and the princess was- "WAIT, PRINCESS AZULA I-"

But I was too late, his limp body came crashing to the ground and was caught by Katara.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as Princess Azula and Zuko stalked towards them.

"YOU'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!" Iroh rushed to their defence, standing in front of the two, "I'LL HOLD THEM OFF AS LONG AS I CAN!"

And as he was finally detained again, I turned away, walking in silence and shame as I boarded the Fire Nation ship.

I laid on the roof staring up at the night sky as we journeyed towards the Fire Nation capital, an overwhelming pit of guilt in my stomach as I tried to make sense of what had just happened.

"Aren't you cold?"

I sat up at the sound of one of the girls on the ship approaching Zuko on the deck.

He turned to her and replied, "I've got a lot on my mind. It's been so long, over three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed... I wonder how I've changed."

She yawned, smiling, "I just asked if you were cold, I didn't ask for your whole life story."

As she slung her arm over his neck and placed her hand on his cheek, I felt my heart race, "stop worrying."

And that's when she pressed her lips against his and he relaxed into her touch.

I felt my jaw clench as I laid back down, looking away from whatever scene was unfolding below me.

It's not like I care.