[12] When the Light Chased Him (1/3)

𝘐𝘵 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘢 𝘮𝘦𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘺.

It was currently self-study period, so all the other classes' students highlighted and practiced responses to different subjects. However, Class A wasn't.

Zhang Yongyin diligently read his notes and tried completing the short answers, ignoring the surrounding noises.

Whenever he felt irritated or dispirited, he would study for hours straight until he felt better, but it had been so long since he felt glum, so he was bolting through all the multiple-choice aggressively.

He didn't know what he had circled, but it was better than circling nothing.

When Zhang Yongyin first heard those words coming out of Wang Xing's mouth, his chest started feeling uncomfortable because it recalled a tormenting memory.

Yet, Zhang Yongyin didn't expect Gu Xiao to snap, and because he knew precisely why Gu Xiao snapped, it made him even more disheartened.

While Gu Xiao took the first step to shut Wang Xing's mouth, he just stood there and pretended he heard nothing. Like two years ago.

"If I ignored everything like in the past, wouldn't I be repeating the same mistake as I did two years ago when I stayed blind? I didn't know what was going on. I was completely clueless. No, I knew what was happening, but by the time I wanted to step up, he had already leapt off that building."

"Why were Gu Xiao and Zhang Yongyin beating you up?" one asked.

"It's just how it is. He is getting more out of control as days pass," Wang Xing scorned and rubbed his aching face.

"You must've pissed him off. He isn't the type to just attack someone randomly. You probably did something wrong. Wasn't he just showing his love for you a few days ago?" one laughed.

"Don't mention that! Also, why are you defending him? I never liked him, but did you see me using my fists? Why don't you go ask his dear friend over there?" Wang Xing complained and nudged his chin over to Zhang Yongyin.

Sliding open the doors, people crowded around in groups and gawked at their phones.

When they saw Lan Yuning walk in, some hid their phones away while one group continued hurdling together and watching a video, unaware that Lan Yuning had walked in.

Wang Xing clicked his tongue and turned back around.

Heading over to the table, who was still out of their seats, Lan Yuning glanced at their phones and saw they were watching a recorded clip of the fight.

Startled, the students immediately sat back at their desks, and the classmate with the phone awkwardly laughed.

"What is that?" he asked.

"Work...?"

"What were you watching?"

The student averted his gaze and hesitantly pushed his phone towards him. After Lan Yuning confirmed it was a video of the fight, a long, tense silence fell on their back.

The student visibly blanched and quickly took his phone away since he couldn't dare risk his dear phone being confiscated, so he promptly opened his textbooks.

Everyone also began planting their heads in their books. Not even a word about the fight escaped anyone's lips.

✎✎✎

The bell rang after an hour, and fourth period started. When that period concluded, some students continued staying in the classroom while others headed towards the library.