Chapter 2 - Spit it out, Thomas

Mandy knew exactly what Downton Abbey looked like from the inside since she had seen the show all the way through about six times. She walked on with Mrs. Hughes as the woman explained the chores, what rooms she was assigned to, when beds needed to be made, the schedule of the meals for the family and the servants, and everything else that was needed to know in order to work at Downton as a housemaid.

"It's a lot to take in, I know," said Mrs. Hughes as they walked in the main entryway to get to the servants' area, "but you'll get the hang of it the longer you work here."

"I hope so."

"You will. Just do as you're told and you'll be alright."

Thomas happened to walk by them, dressed up in his footman attire. He met Mandy's gaze and he gave her a scowl and walked on. She looked back at him as he walked away, her heart beating faster with annoyance.

"Don't mind him," Mrs. Hughes said, noticing Mandy's expression, and Mandy looked to the front again. "He's in one of his moods, which he always seems to be in. I wouldn't be caught up with him if I were you."

She knew this, but, just so she could know more about him while she was actually in the show... "Is he a troublemaker?"

"He can be, yes, along with Mrs. O'Brien. Steer clear of them whenever possible. Together, they're bad news."

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind."

Mandy looked back again to where Thomas walked off to. What tiff did he have with her? Was it because she was American? She knew that she wasn't a threat to his own job like Bates was, getting the position that Thomas wanted, so what was his problem with her?

Later on at dinner, Mandy sat with the other maids and noticed that all the young men at the table, minus Thomas, eyed her. She felt her cheeks heat up. That many guys hadn't stared at her at the same time like that before. This was new. She was just used to the occasional glance and the rare head-turn.

"How was your first day on the job, Mandy?" Anna asked from across the table and a few people down from Mandy, spoon in hand.

"It wasn't too bad. I mean, it's a lot to take in, but I'm a fast learner. I actually enjoyed it."

"That's good."

"Better get used to it because you'll be doing the same thing every single day," O'Brien remarked near the head of the table.

"I know," Mandy said. "I'm prepared for it."

"What part of America are you from again?" William asked, himself two people down from her. Mandy had to lean forward and look across the maid next to her to look at him.

"Washington state."

"What's it like there?" Daisy asked as she poured everyone water. "That's so far away, it seems non-existent."

"It's very green and very wet. We have the reputation of being the wettest region in the country."

"Sounds like Northern England, where a lot of us are from."

"Well, I guess it's a north thing, because my home region is called The Pacific Northwest because we're right next to the Pacific Ocean. We're known for being green and wet."

The group continued on with their dinner of chicken stew and bread, chattering about this and that. Mandy heard O'Brien ask Mr. Carson several people down from her, "How did you convince His Lordship of lettin' a random American work here?" Mrs. Hughes shot her a look. "I'm just curious, that's all. She didn't have a penny or possession on 'er."

"We have taken in staff with less," Mr. Carson said. "And if I remember right, you came here with hardly anything."

O'Brian's nose twitched, and Mandy smirked, glad that the head butler and the housekeeper had her back.