Chapter 10 - Saying Goodbye, Proposal Style

"Mr. Crawley actually bought that pin for you?"

"How could you let him do that when he is betrothed to Lady Mary?"

"What does Lady Mary think about all this?"

"Is this the reason why you're being sacked?"

Mandy didn't bother answering all the questions being thrown at her regarding the night before, so she just looked down at her plain oatmeal, swirling the spoon around in it, her heart hurting. Everyone found out about what happened in the library—from Thomas.

"For heaven's sake, leave her alone," Mrs. Hughes chided everyone. "Not one more word on the subject, understood?"

That silenced everyone, but they still whispered with one another on the subject. She knew her co-workers and friends would think horribly of her. Mandy glanced up at Thomas, who sat there across and down from her, glaring at his food. She ached to talk to him and explain herself.

The first bell jangled, and everyone hustled to get started with the day's chores. She met Thomas at the door to the servants' dining room. "Thomas," she began, but he just said they had work to do and left. Her heart ached as she watched him canter up the stairs.

He must be torn up after hearing everything first-hand in the library. I was an idiot, keeping it from him. I should've told him from the beginning. The blow would have been less severe.

Or could it have been? Thomas didn't talk to her for more than a day just because he thought she got the pin from another man. He had trust issues, and she just made it worse.

During lunch as all the servants ate in the dining room, Mandy was called into Mr. Carson's office. She knew what was going to happen. Mr. Carson sat there at his desk, lips pressed together.

"I know why you want to see me," Mandy said. "It's not news to me—I'm being sacked. When do I leave?"

"As soon as possible. Tomorrow preferably." The older man huffed through his nose, his eyes sad. "I'm afraid there's nothing I can do, Mandy. I discussed it with his Lordship, and he made the decision that it would be better for you to go as to not create more... inconveniences."

She swallowed emotion in her throat and nodded. "I understand. I'll pack my things today."

He nodded. "Mrs. Hughes will give you a good reference."

"Thank you." She turned to go, but Mr. Carson said her name. She turned to him, her throat tight as she held back stinging tears.

"I am indeed sorry. I wish I could do more, but it is what it is."

She nodded again. "I know. And thank you."

She left and walked into the hall, only to almost ram right into Thomas. He took one look at her and walked on. "Thomas," she began, but he walked up the stairs. She followed him. A few steps from the top, he stopped and looked down at her as she was a few steps below him. "Please, Thomas, can I talk to you and explain everything?"

He stared at her for a moment, gripping the railing tightly. "Everything already was explained in the library last night."

"Thomas," she started, but he left up the stairs and exited the servant's area. Her chest constricted. She really hurt him—badly. The next time she came across him, she heard him talking with Mrs. O'Brien outside in the back courtyard an hour later. She opened the back door slightly and heard them talking off to the side near the picnic table. She hid herself from them behind the door.

"You know, I was actually startin' to like Mr. Bates because of that girl," O'Brien said. "And that's really sayin' somethin', considerin' I hated the man."