Chapter 16

16. Stay

The smiths were busy by the next day’s midafternoon, making last-minute workings on the Brotherhood’s weapons. No sword was too sharp until the slightest touch of the blade on skin was enough to draw blood, crimson, and in waves. It was true that it would do little to protect them against the White Walkers, but surely the gods counted it worth something. As such, with less than a day to go, Beric Dondarrian and his men would set off to Eastwatch to join Jon beyond the wall. 

But it wasn’t just the preparations for the Brotherhood that had Sansa spending a portion of her day around smiths and fire and steel. The winds and snow were only gaining in strength in the north and would continue to worsen day by day with little care that there was a war in need of strong and healthy and warm men to fight in it. Warm coursing blood froze in the veins of men and strong bones felt as fragile as stained glass windows. Both were easy to shatter, hard to put back together, and never the same once broken. Leather-bound armor wasn’t much compared to the frigid temps, but it was as much as any could expect with the limited room and resources they had. 

“I’ll send Lord Royce to see you as soon as he’s able,” Sansa nodded, noting everything the smiths needed of her to continue working. Some wishes were steeper than others, but it had to be done. “He’ll secure what you need.”74rf 

They thanked her and resumed their work.

Sansa exited to the courtyard with plans to head straight to The Great Keep without delay. Despite the decision being made, there were still men questioning the reason behind Jon’s choice. They didn’t shy away from bringing it to Sansa’s attention when she looked less than busy. Sansa knew better to hope that they’d go along with the ruling in silence, but had at least prayed that they’d keep their reserve to themselves and their peers. She was done dealing with their questions and complaints, searching for answers that would not result in disagreement with one side of the situation or the other. It didn’t work well.

She had found several ways to disband the conversation that sprung with the noblemen within the walls of Winterfell. Each time she felt like she was walking in circles. Roaming around and around the same set of topics with pre-rehearsed lines to make them stand down if even more a moment longer. She had no will to lie and stand firmly with Jon’s motivation nor did she wish to negate him all the same, knowing he was doing what he thought best. They attempted to push her all the same. 

In the open of the courtyard, it was easy for her eyes to wander from the entrance to the kitchen to the armory to the stables. Scanning the faces of the men as they shifted their cloaks against the wind and kicked frozen mud from their boots. It shouldn't have been a surprise to Sansa when she finally spotted Sandor at the entrance of the stables. 

He was watching her.

Sandor hadn’t spared a glance in her direction since the night before, much less spoken to her. She hardly expected him to. And she steered away from approaching him with questions of why he was at her room at late hours or what his reaction was to seeing her naked as the day she was born. There was no need to make whatever relationship they had even more obscure between them. But that hadn’t meant she secretly didn’t want answers to both. The notion made her feel like a ridiculous schoolgirl pulling flower petals. Do he or does he not. Little did she care these days what others thought about her - it hadn’t done much to protect or favor her in the years before - but it mattered now. His opinion mattered now.

She could only imagine the ridicule Sandor would grant her if he found out.

Sansa hadn't thought of what to expect once Sandor did acknowledge her once again. A squire boy would blush and hide his gaze, nervous about the situation he found himself in. A man prideful in his ways would smirk and wink, puffing out his chest in triumph. She didn't expect either reaction. Maybe in the back of her mind, she concluded that he'd never look her way again, never speak to her again, never seek her presence. That conclusion was worse than any other reaction she could come up with and that's why it stayed in the back of her mind. No, instead, his eyes wrapped around her whole body. Did he see her without her dress and furs? Was that all that would cross his mind when he laid eyes on her? The notion both terrified and excited her.