Chapter Seven

Devika trembled on her knees, her eyes lowered to the floor.

The Vampire, Arkyn, just stood there, not making a sound, and the silence turned as sharp as a blade.

"I-I didn't expect you here, My Lord," she whispered.

Arkyn's head cocked to the side, a wicked grin spreading his lips. "Don't sound too disappointed, I might think you don't like me."

His sarcasm wasn't lost on me. It was exactly what he wanted to see... just a matter of which one of us fell for the Sinful's trap first.

My heart banged so loudly in my chest, I was convinced everyone in the Night Room heard it. Except all eyes were on the Sinful and Devika.

Tears tracked down her cheeks. Blonde curls fell over shoulders that shook with her cries.

I should have looked away from her humiliation, but I couldn't rip my gaze away, needing to see, needing to understand how the Sinful delivered their punishment, what triggered their behavior.

Cassian and Lorcan stood back, their gazes tracing Devika's naked body with hunger in their eyes. Arkyn circled the girl like a predator would, taking her in, searching for the weakness in his prey, the best way to attack. Except, he had the poor girl exactly where he wanted her. This wasn't about the attack... no, he wanted to lengthen the game, see her suffer, humiliate her, remind us all of the consequences if we didn't play along.

"Do you know what I want?" Arkyn asked, glancing down at Devika.

She sniffled and tilted her head back. "Obedience," she choked out.

He exchanged a knowing look with the two other Sinful, conveying their unspoken words, then looked back to the girl. "That's all I ask for, all we want." He paused in front of her, then crouched down to face her, his large hand on her cheek, wiping her tears with a thumb. "You are beautiful and tenacious, but you don't think before you act. That makes you a risk."

"I didn't know the rules," she murmured.

I winced inwardly. Shut up, just damn shut up. Several others gasped, knowing speaking back wasn't going to win her any favors. We all saw it from a mile away, except for Devika, who seemed to forget we were in the home of monsters who owned us.

"Silly girl." His hand slid to her milky white shoulder, his thumb taking a slow path across her collarbone, and he leaned closer, his mouth dangerously close to the pulse in the side of her neck.

I held my breath, expecting him to bite into her, pierce her flesh... holding her with such dominance. I swallowed the lump in my throat, imagining his breath on my neck. Those lips so close that a tremble shot down my spine.

Heat engulfed me and I shoved it down. And I hated myself for reacting this way.

Loathed the Sinful.

Despised my life for ending up here.

But when the right moment came, I'd kill them... all three of them.

Arkyn smelled Devika's neck, his nostrils flaring.

One bite, one drop of blood on his tongue, and he'd have a taste of her. Rumors spoke of that single taste bringing her closer to becoming one of them. To drink their blood in return stole her soul and made her an undead, a Sinful.

His fingers feathered down Devika's chest, and I watched, captivated.

Her hand lashed out, grabbing his wrist to stop him.

"You're playing a dangerous game." His features darkened, his words loud and punchy.

I choked on the silence in the room, the intensity of everyone's stares on them.