Chapter Eleven

My bravery buckled, the words I'd said out loud felt like stones lodged in my throat, and I couldn't swallow past them, could barely draw a breath into my lungs.

This wasn't me... this wasn't who I was.

But I had to become whatever they wanted, including a temptress, to save Trevor's life. My insides seethed that the Sinful put me in this position in the first place, made me quiver with fear, and worst of all, had me desiring them when they were the enemy.

My gaze shifted to the luxurious ballroom, polished floorboards, the extravagant paintings of animal battle scenes in thick golden frames, and lush velvet chaise lounges at one end of the room. They looked expensive, one of them most likely costing more than I'd make in a year at the haberdashery. Fiery sconces adorned the walls, adding to the expensive feel of the ballroom.

People danced or milled around in gowns and suits, the men gravitating toward the women. They looked so comfortable with each other, like they might be enjoying themselves. That heavy seduction tethered me here, running hands all over my body and my mind.

I gave into it, feeling the throb echo through me.

There was no sign of the Sinful anywhere. Just shadows crowding the corners, and the thumping of my heart in my ears, telling me I'd fail.

A brunette dragged her date by a hand across the hall, her gaze swinging left and right, but she was a fool to think no one saw her. They fell into the shadows behind the stairs, while my gaze settled on the double doors they'd walked past. A way out of the manor. Escape.

The fleeting longing to run away vanished as fast as it hit me. I had to be careful now. Three Sinful spoke to me through my mind like they'd always had the ability. They read my thoughts... including why I'd come to Nightingale Manor. I knew this now. No secret lay unturned from them. I just hadn't known it until now.

I felt my heart sink to my stomach and the knowledge made me sick. It could only lead to terrible things.

They know everything.

Tension pulled through my body like a knotted rope unraveling. Eira's words made sense now... the Sinful had known all along. But they'd done nothing about it. I was a game for them, a challenge to see what I'd do.

I turned to Trevor, who stared down at Nascha amid the dancers, pressing herself against a broad-shouldered man with short black hair. She drew her skirt to her tanned thighs and hooked a leg around his, her lips lifting toward his. The move looked awkward to me, but her date embraced her tightly. Was that what Trevor wanted? A dominating woman, someone else to take control?

I wiped sweaty hands down my gown and reached out for him, forcing a smile, my fingers curling around his wrist.

You're disappointing me. Cassian's voice slid into my thoughts, leaving me trembling.

Trevor turned back toward me, the corners of his mouth creasing into a half grin. "You mentioned beasts living in these walls, in this castle."

I nodded, and his eyes lit up.

His hand swiveled over mine and grasped me tightly, drawing me closer.

I splayed a hand against his strong chest. "I can tell you so many of the manor's secrets." I batted my eyes, which felt wrong, considering my topic of conversation, but Trevor responded, his honeyed brown eyes smiling.

He traced a finger across the edges of my eye mask. "Do you ever worry the Sinful might one day return to this mansion?" He guided me up a few more steps by my hand, and we stood near the black railing, overlooking the dancing.