Chapter 10

A/N: Enjoy the chapter! Sorry for it coming late.

*3rd person's P.O.V*

“CAW CAW!! KANAE KOCHO IS DEAD!! KANAE KOCHO THE FLOWER PILLAR IS DEAD!! SHE DIED DURING A FIGHT WITH AN UPPERMOON!!” The crow shouted from above before landing on the stone ground from the outside pathway out of the water estate that navigated through the thick bamboo forest surrounding the estate.

It took a few seconds to process what it had just started to their slayers but immediately after y/n had realized what it just stated tears welled at every single edge and corner of her eyes. 

“K-k-kanae?” she barely managed to say as an image of the formerly alive pillar had flashed into her mind making it harder for the girl to not completely break down right there.

“W-what you-re say-saying i-isn’t true right?!?” she furiously asked the crow in front of her as Muichiro just watched this scene unravel before his eyes.

The crow however could not respond to her as slowly, a teardrop had rolled down its featherly cheeks indicating the news was indeed true.

“No no no no no no no n-no. Sh-she can’t die? She’s a p-pillar? Sh-she pr-promised m-me” a wave of mixed emotions had completely swallowed her as a whole while she silently sobbed dropping to the ground.

“What now? What are you going to do now? You can’t just run away from danger can you? You have to face danger head on and never look back”

“Living is only worth it as long as you make sure you help others get through it with you”

“Y/n-chan! Want to see a trick I can do for you?”

All the memories she had shared with Kanae since meeting her was now beginning to hit her hard like a brick that was harshly thrown at the poor girl.

“Promise me something y/n-chan. Promise me you’ll keep on moving forward and live. A precious life like yours shouldn’t be wasted” young kanae asked the little girl who was sitting beside her and staring at her.

“Only if you promise to stay alive too!!” the little girl beamed at her, directing a very wide smile in her direction.

“Sure. Let’s stay alive, all of us”

That particular memory had hit y/n so hard it was hard to control the sobs anymore as she cried over her Kanae’s death.

Muichiro stood there, completely starstruck by the scene on going, even though he didn’t cry, inside he felt a sharp pang in his heart after hearing this news, though he couldn’t figure this emotion out.

He silently watched his h/c colored friend in front of him break down into medium tears.

One week later

Kanae’s funeral at the Demon Slayer Corps Burial Site

A/N: I don’t know how they conducted burial ceremonies back in the Taisho era, but I’ll try my best for it to sound traditional.

“Today, we are gathered here to mourn the loss of a friend and a family member close to us all, Kanae Kocho” the sutra chanting priest began the memorial with a quick message followed by a prayer before the burning of the incense.

Only the family, the others at the Butterfly estate, the Hashira and family if needed and the Ubuyashiki family were allowed to attend the burial because of Kagaya presence.

Most were crying, some angry and few had no emotion at all and just watched the burial put through.

After the long ceremony, we were all motioned to leave the site but the butterfly estate members all remained and continued to mourn for their great loss.