twelve

12 — my team

"Your friend sure can pack a punch."
♡︎

Charlie looks at Marlene as he puts his coat on

Charlie looks at Marlene as he puts his coat on. He shakes his head with a shrug. "If you had asked me earlier, sure. But I've got somewhere to be."

"Where are you even going? And why are you dressed like that?" He's got on full black attire. Marlene thinks he looks stupid.

"I can't tell you."

Marlene scoffs, rolling her eyes. Charlie makes his way to the door, grabbing a beanie from the coffee table. Marlene can't believe that he's actually going out like this.

"This won't even take long, Charlie."

"Yeah, but it'll take a bit too long for me to be there on time."

"Where on time?!"

"I can't tell you."

"Charlie—" Marlene stops herself, but Charlie finds it amusing. "What are you even doing on a Sunday night?"

"You'll find out soon enough, Mars." He ruffles her hair. Marlene slaps his hand away. He exaggeratedly winces.

"Look," he sighs, a smile pulling at his lips. Marlene doesn't look near as happy about it. "It's a Sunday night. So, I dunno, take a shower, eat dinner with your mom, then go to sleep." He flashes a quick smile, then darts out of the room. Marlene goes after him, but decides it's not worth it.

All she was asking Charlie was to take the pictures to Adam, but apparently whatever he has to do is much more important. Now she's left with finding out a way to give the pictures to Adam, and the thought of giving them to him herself makes her stomach churn.

But she can't tell Ellie that she can't give them to Adam, and a part of her feels like Charlie is only saying no so that she has no choice but to do it herself.

-

Turns out Charlie's business actually was decently important. While Adam sits in his living room, bickering with Liam over who gets to hold the popcorn while they watch a movie - Amelia tells them to split it into two bowls - and Marlene helps her mother with laundry, Charlie has put on his stealth gear and met with the Ducks. Who, not surprisingly, are also in stealth attire. They all look like a bunch of weirdos.

"Is the coast clear?" Averman asks, peeking his head around the corner of the hallway.

"It's been clear for five minutes, Averman," Fulton sighs, shoving his elbow into Averman's stomach.

Averman shoots him a dirty look and grumbles, "Gee, I was just asking."

"We're just waiting for Luis and Kenny to get here with the rope."

"So why don't we set up the tubes?"

"That's what Julie and Goldberg are doing."

"So why are we just standing here?"