Chapter 16 - "Girls"

Inna POV: 

The women's head is tilted back as she looks up at the ceiling to the bullet hole now in it.

"Try your knife," Dreykov tells Natasha. It gripped firmly in her hand she thrusts her arm at him. Tip of the blade first, but it stops before it hits him. Dreykov shows no signs of being even mildly bothered at the fact that Natasha is trying to kill him. "Ah..." Dreykov sighs before clutching her wrist with one hand and pulling the knife from her grasp with the other. Natasha gasps, clearly letting go of a breath she had been holding. The knife clatters to the ground as Dreykov leans closer to Natasha. "You're in trouble."

"How are you controlling me?" 

"I'm not controlling you, Natasha... Well, not yet. But there is a phenomenal lock. Smelling my pheromones prevents you from committing violence against me." Dreykov says, his voice calm but not at all soothing. He harshly brings his hand up, looking as if he is about to hit her. She flinches, bringing her head away from the man. 

I take a shaking breath out, thankful that he didn't hit her. I know that I didn't want him to hit her. But then again I know better than to speak out of turn. 

He walks away from her, the woman still bracing for Dreykov to hit her. 

"I'm very upset with Melina. It's a shame I have to kill her." His voice shows no sign of discontent. He sits down at his desk, as a ping comes from a small tablet. 

As quietly as possible I make my way closer to the desk. Hoping to catch a glimpse of what was on it. I lower my head and take long strides over to the desk. The pole I hide behind smells as if it has been freshly painted. 

I scrunch up my face as Dreykov moves in his chair not letting me see the tablet. 

"So, this was the big plan, huh?" He asks Natasha. The woman standing on the opposite side of the room to the desk. "Melina was going to land the Red Room and hand me over to the authorities." His finger audibly swipes on the tablet. 

"So, what now, you're gonna fold me into your pathetic little puppeteer act?" Natasha asks him. 

"Pathetic, huh?" Dreykov shifts in his chair, lightly scoffing at the woman's question. 

The woman walks closer to the desk, "Yeah, what would you call, it?" 

Strategy...   I think to myself. 

"I would call it..."Dreykov starts only to be cut off by the look alike. 

"When was the last time that you had a conversation with somebody that wants forced to talk to you?" She asks rather quickly. 

"You ran away to fight in the wrong war." Dreykov rebuts. The woman was only centimetres away from the desk. As Dreykov leans towards her in his sitting position, "The real war was fought here, in the shadows."

"You didn't fight in the shadows. You hid in the dark." Natasha comes even closer to the desk. Dreykov using his hands for emphasis continues to explain what he had been doing, "Real power comes from undetectable influence."

She lightly slams her hands into the desk as she leans close towards Dreykov. "If no one's noticed, then why even do it?" She asks tilting her head. 

"You're nothing," she taunts, her voice making it seem like a joke. 

"You have nothing," she taunts him again, leaning closer and closer towards him. 

Dreykov sharply inhales, "There are 50 people on this planet..." He speaks quickly. 

"Oh, stop it." Natasha scoffs at him. 

I sharply inhale and brace for something dreadful to happen as Dreyokv yells at the top of his lungs, leaping out of his seat and slamming his hands into the table, "Don't tell me when to stop!"