Chapter 7

Thanks to @grungelarryxo for the awesome banner!

  I can't just barge in, they are talking, and I was not invited.

But you are the Luna now, my wolf tries to convince me.

Hardly, I mutter, I've only been here for a few days. The position can't just be mine.

It is simple, and he explained it too. Once the Alpha finds his mate, she is the Luna, his equal.

It can't be that sim—

"Evangeline?"

My eyes gaze steadily upwards and land on my mate, as he is standing in the doorway and I can see Andrew just behind him. Though I feel it, there is no time to be embarrassed. "Did they find Henry?"

"Yes, people are bringing him in any minute," he hesitates at first, most likely wondering why I am standing outside the office door for no apparent reason, though I had a reason. It was a good, simple, structured reason until I got to my own head and suddenly began to doubt my position.

"He's alright?" A smile curves from my lips and Sebastian leads me down the hall with them—making me feel important—and his hand lightly touches the small of my back, causing me to now focus on two things at once. "Henry, he's—"

"He's a little scratched up, and from what I've been told, very exhausted."

My eyes reluctantly peer up at his striking face, reminding me of the offense he committed only moments ago. Darn his sensational lips.

"W-What do you mean he's scratched up? Someone hurt him?"

Andrew follows directly behind us, and Sebastian swings open the front door, letting a soft gust of autumn air blow past my face, lifting the strands of hair from my shoulders. Just on the other side of the door is a small group of men, men I am assuming to be guards. Henry is stumbling along with assistance on both sides of him.

My shoulders drop.

"Bring him upstairs will you," Sebastian orders. "I have the doctor on his way."

The crowd slowly conquers the staircase and brings Henry into one of the spare rooms, the one across from mine. Sebastian clears most of the guards, and they obediently leave the house. One guard stays behind, and Sebastian does not waste another second before gathering more information. He questions him, asking things like, where did you find him, has he said anything about what has happened, was there anyone else with or around him, and others. I do not dare interrupt, yet I keep my post beside Henry as he lays on the bed. I gently scoop his hand up into mine.

Henry looks at me and smiles. "Y-You're a sweet girl. Tell me, how did you end up with my brother as a mate?"

I hold back my laughter.

Sebastian's attention turns to us at the sound of Henry's voice. He asks the last guard to leave and soon enough it is just the four of us, Sebastian, Henry, Andrew, and I. Sebastian sighs.

"Tell me you remember what happened."

Henry attempts to sit up, but he does not make it too far. Oddly, his brown eyes land on me again, gazing right into my own. "It's you."

"Of course... Evangeline," I tell him, not fully understanding what he needs.

Henry shakes his head. "They asked about you."

His grip on my hand tightens.

"What do you mean, they asked about me?"

Sebastian steps in and takes control of the situation. "Henry, who asked about Evangeline?"