Chapter 15

Eros's Pov:

Apex stares down at his mate's sleeping face. He traces his thumb over her knuckles again and again.

"How is she doing?", I ask.

"The doctors say there seems to be an increase in brain activity", he says, "they're hopeful she'll wake up soon". I nod as though I believe him. I think he's in denial or maybe bargaining. Maybe he's in both. I can't imagine what it would be like to grieve someone in such a state. Sometimes I think it would've been better for him had she died.

"How's Grandma?", he asks.

"She's doing okay", I tell him, "Aurora's with her right now".

"How's she doing?", he asks.

"She's doing better", I tell him, "I think she's trying to get the whole mate thing".

"Have you told her she's a wolf yet?", he asks.

I sign, "no, I don't want to overwhelm her when she's just starting to get into a good place".

"Try not to wait too long", he advises me.

"I won't", I say.

"How are you doing?", I ask him.

"I'm doing alright", he says. I sigh knowing that he's lying.

"Any idea what's taking Dr. H so long", I ask.

He shrugs, "I don't know but, he said the results were ready when she called last night".

"Does that woman ever sleep?", I ask.

"Who knows with her", he says, "she's a weird one".

"Do you ever wonder about her?", I ask.

"What do you mean?".

"Where did she come from?", I ask. He only shrugs.

"I'm not even sure what her whole first name is", I say.

"I think she told me it was Hope once", he says.

"Do you know anything else about her?", I ask.

  "She was friends with Diana and she's good at her job", he says.

  Before I can say anything else the door opens revealing the woman in question.

   "I have the results", she says.

  "What do they say?", Apex asks.

  "They're a match".

  He takes a sharp inhale at the news but, nods as though he knew this would be the case.

  "Whoever this guy is he's targeting your family", she says, "do you know anyone who might do this?".

  "I can't think of anyone", I say. Apex only shakes his head.

  She sighs, "I figured". She turns to leave.

  "Hey, can I talk to you about something?", I stop her.

  She smiles at me, "sure thing". She follows me into the hall.

  "What did you want to talk about?", she asks.

  "Well I was wondering if you could talk to my mate about something", I say. Her fingers fidget with her clipboard.

  "What about?", she asks.

  "I think she has an addiction problem", I tell her.

  "Oh", she says.

  "Do you think you could recommend some kind of program or something?", I ask.

  She smiles at me, "no problem".

  "Thanks".

  "It's no issue", she says, "I'm always happy to help how I can".

  "I really appreciate everything you've done for my family", I tell her.

  "Of course", she beams, "by the way your grandmother is due in for a checkup here pretty soon".

  "Okay, I'll check my schedule and get back to you", I tell her.

  "Thank you", she says, "let me know if you need anything else". With that, she turns and walks down the hallway. I watch her go greeting everyone she passes. She is a truly compassionate person.

  I start on my way home, this time taking the main exit. It's snowing outside and I have to hold myself back from rushing home. I doubt Aurora would appreciate me getting into an accident just to get to her five minutes faster.

  A smile takes hold of my face when I finally pull into my driveway. I go up the walkway and to my front door. The key takes a bit of force to turn in the frozen lock.

  I push the door open and am greeted by the warmth of my home. I used to think this place was desolate and painfully lonely. Now I see it was waiting for just the right person to make it a home.

  I step in locking the door behind me. I roam the house looking for my mate and grandmother.

  I find her with her head resting in my grandmother's lap. My grandmother's telling her stories I know Aurora couldn't possibly understand. Still, she smiles and nods along as though she does.

  "Hey, how was your day?", I ask pressing a kiss to her and my grandmother's cheeks. She smiles at me and I swear it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

  "It was okay", I tell her, "the pills were a match".

  "I'm glad I didn't take them then", she says.

  I sigh, "about that". She sits up hearing the seriousness in my tone.

  "What's up?", she asks.

  "I asked Hope to talk to you about potentially seeking rehab", I tell her.

  She stares down at her lap where she plays with her fingers.

  "You don't have to", I tell her, "I just think it might be good for you".

  "I'll think about it", she says.

  I beam at her, "thank you". I press a kiss to her lips making her giggle.

  "How about we order a pizza tonight", I say sitting on the couch beside her.

  "I'm done with my work for the day and would love to spend some time with my two favorite people", I say.

  She smiles, "that sounds great". I settle next to her and rest and arm over her shoulders.