Chapter 6 | Crimson

Portland, finally. It was a grueling ten-hour drive from Boston. Jake didn't expect the traffic would be that heavy.

He slows down a bit along Springer Drive to look for a place to park. He finds a perfect spot at the roadside just across Diners Den Resto, the exact place where the document says Helen Lockhart is currently working.

He pulls over, switches off the engine, and checks his watch. It's 5:45 in the afternoon. Her shift will be over soon. He hurriedly grabs his badge and exits the car.

There's a slight drizzle of rain, almost as if the weather decided to be as gloomy as the bad sense of foreboding within him. Keeping his hood up and his head down, he makes his way to the door.

As soon as he enters, the smell of appetizing food assaults his senses making his stomach rumble. He skipped lunch and only had coffee for breakfast.

He beelines for the corner table and quickly catalogs his surroundings. A voice booms out from behind the counter as the sound of chattering customers drifts throughout the restaurant.

As he discreetly scans the surroundings, a woman with dark crimson hair tied up in a bun makes her way to a table on the other side of the resto to clean it up. His heart pounds. He takes another look.

It's Helen Lockhart alright, just as he expected. He squints at her name tag. It says, "Rita O'Hara".

Despite the masquerade, she looks the same as she did 11 years ago. She hasn't aged a bit. And those icy blue eyes. She has such an unnerving stare.

Almost... predatory.

Jake shivers at the thought as a disturbing memory jogs in his subconscious.

"What can I get ya, darlin'?"

Startled at the waitress' drawl beside him, he mumbles coffee and donuts for take-out. As he looks back in Helen's direction, their eyes meet.

Helen looks at him suspiciously. As a man's voice booms out again from behind the counter, she heads over to the tiny kitchen window and takes the cup of caffeine Jake ordered. She says something to the first girl that served him and makes her way to his table.

"Here you go, Mister. Your donuts will be ready in a few minutes. Can I get you anything else?", asks Helen as she puts his coffee on his table.

Not seeing any sign that she remembers him, he clears his throat,

"Helen?"

Her whole body stiffens and a hard expression passes her face so quickly, he would've missed it if he weren't paying such close attention.

"You're mistaken sir, the name's Rita.", she points at her ID as she squares her shoulders.

She gives him a strained smile before she tries to walk away but Jake grabs her wrist as he stands to his full height,

"I need to speak with you."

She scrunches her eyebrows as she whispers,

"Let go of me..."

She pushes his hand off her wrist and moves away but he tries to plead with her,

"Please, it's important."

She's softly shaking as she goes to the kitchen window. She appears to be anxious that her cover is blown. She subtly nods at the staff and takes the donuts Jake ordered, presumably to pack it.

Jake makes his way down the counter with his barely-touched cup of coffee. His brows furrow at the way she acted.

"That'll be $2.50", says the lady at the counter.