Chapter 9 - The Return of Stan

Merryn called a halt outside the market town of Tavistock. "Right, this is where it could get interesting. We've not surveyed this area yet from the base, but I know the town pretty well from when I was a teenager as I grew up not far from here. We need to get from here through the centre of town, then up the steep hill on the far side. At the top of that hill is an old viaduct: that's the disused railway line. We will follow that straight towards Okehampton, then dodge right at the old granite quarry onto the moor and join the army tracks heading towards the base there. The railway line is actually a cycle path these days so it should be relatively easy going give or take the odd walker.

"From hereon in we switch to silent weapons. I'll keep my rifle ready, but the rest of you are on point with a bow or crossbow. I'd rather not resort to close combat weapons if we can help it. Up to three walkers we take them out on sight. More than that we run. If we encounter hostile humans we turn around and run like hell. Do you understand?"

The team nodded and she continued. "I want to get through town to the other side before we go shopping. I know we're low on supplies, but supplies are heavy and at the moment, we can travel light and fast. Let's keep it that way until we have the luxury of time to restock.

"Normal formation everyone, you know what you're doing. Have a quick drink and a snack now if you can. We move out in five minutes."

Merryn moved over to join Andrew who was surveying the road ahead. "You okay on point Andrew?"

"Yes. I prefer it to be honest."

"I'll be right behind you."

"Yes, I know. Thank you."

"What's gnawing at you, Andrew? You've been quiet since we left the scout hut."

Andrew turned to look at her. "It's my sister's birthday today. She was my twin. I miss her."

Merryn pulled Andrew into a hug. "I know it's not the right moment, but Happy Birthday Andrew. I miss my twin brother too."

"I'd not realised we had that in common." Andrew let go of the hug and smiled sadly. "It feels like she's out there guiding our way sometimes."

"I feel the same about Piran. What was your sister called?"

"Theo. She was ill on the weekend we went on camp with Brian so she couldn't come along. Her and Eddie were best friends."

"Ah, I'd wondered why there was a connection between you two."

"I remind Eddie of Theo. It's painful for her."

"And I'm sure it's reassuring too. You're a good man Andrew, and I'm glad you're here."

"I'm glad you found us Merryn." He looked at his watch. "Should we move?"

She nodded. "You have point, Andrew. Be safe."

Merryn turned and found the rest of the troupe ready to move, all with crossbows ready except for Tom who had strung his bow and had an arrow nocked to the string. She nodded and waved them forward.

Andrew picked his way through the wreckage of the town. Once past the deserted industrial estate, the roads narrowed and the buildings closed in as they moved into a more residential area. Shops appeared as they moved into the older part of the town. Here, cars were strewn across the high street, left where people could no longer find passage and litter blew in circles as the ever-present wind soughed off the nearby moor. Merryn carried her rifle, watching Andrew's movements as she too scanned her surroundings with a practiced eye. He stopped often to listen as he moved, sticking to one side of the street but detouring around entrances to alleys or deeper doorways where a pair of grasping grey hands could be waiting to draw him into a final embrace.