Quando Romae

𝕿hat night in Rome, strung out from jet lag, I got ready for the welcoming dinner and gala after a series of introductory meetings and small informal chats

𝕿hat night in Rome, strung out from jet lag, I got ready for the welcoming dinner and gala after a series of introductory meetings and small informal chats. The entire Mughal Co. delegation was invited, and I was treated to a barrage of nervous questions from the more junior members of the team. Most of whom were my age.

While I coached and fielded their questions, the next few days would be filled with negotiations bickering and barely veiled acrimony. But tonight we were all supposed to play nice, give the world lots of pretty pictures, with nicely framed shots of the Chinese delegation shaking the hands of the Americans and the French. I knew how important this whole conference was for the company and to Taimoor, and how obsessed he was by the years he spent re-building the company, so if the one way I could help make this whole thing a success was to attend this dinner by his side, then I was more than happy to do it.

But I had no illusions about how congenial or enjoyable the evening would be.

Jibran had already taken the liberty to coach me on the subtle power plays that would be taking place tonight. I was to avoid any talk about the Chinese making strides in nuclear fusion technology, skirt any topics regarding French politics, and was to sidestep the British with the whole Brexit ordeal. That was before I was told that the American's were now a bit touchy about not getting their 'deserved treatment' so they were in the do-not-piss-off box as well.

He'd only just left to get ready, his brow ticking from the stress, once Hania's junior stylist, Rabiya, had kicked him out.

"How does this look?" I asked, stepping out of the bathroom as she rushed to fasten my earrings. I was wearing a skin-tight shimmering black Armani dress with a plunging back, my hair cascading down in sultry waves. The most daring part of the ensemble was the back, which exposed so much skin there was no way I was wearing my hair up. My fingers were manicured and glittering to sparkle under the chandelier lights. I looked just fine like this, a pedestal of glamour to highlight who I was.

"You look stunning ma'am, but would you like to put your hair up?"

"They're not long enough to cover the whole back, so I think it's fine. Let's keep it fun for tonight. I already have the bun planned out for tomorrow."

"You're right, I've got your heels and clutch on the bed."

"Where is Taimoor?"

I was still turning and frowning into the mirror when I heard the door open and Taimoor's gravelly voice. "Daania? Are you ready?"

"Yup," I called and stepped out of the obnoxiously large dressing area. When he saw me, he stopped, his mouth parted as if he was about to speak, and then forgot the words. An intense feeling of affection, warm and wrapped in possessiveness, settled into my midsection. Then he gave me his eyes, the caress of his hungry stare, searing my skin and deeper, strangling my air like a closed fist.