Shattered...

chapter's song: the scientist by Coldplay

҉       A Prinɕҽsslɣ ConnҽCTioN        ҉

ChaPtEr TWENTY          _________________________

Shattered...

Strong arms held me tight. I was engulfed in warmness and an overall happy feeling.

Jason’s phone rang and lazily, he grabbed the bloody thing. I stirred as his whole body tensed. Pulling away cursing and grabbing his clothes, he got up. His eyes turned at me once as I pulled up the sheet and sat up alarmed. They were intense before he stepped outside answering the call. Worriedness washed over me. Biting my lip, I reached out for my phone to check the time.

It was almost 4 am. Bloody hell. This must be really important, then.

Could it be something related to his family? To the Navy? To my family?

A warning bell played in my mind. Something happened to my great grandmother. Shit. Shit. Shit.

 I had to call Mom.

Putting on a t-shirt, I grabbed my phone when it started to ring.

Fuck.

My stomach plummeted to the ground as I slid my finger over the device’s green button. I could recognize Mom’s number.

“M-Mom?”

“Hi sweetie! I’m really sorry to call like this…but…” I cringed waiting for the bad news to come, “your father is on his way to the hospital, right now. The Queen had some sort of stroke. I don’t know much. But we think that you should come back. Hopefully, this isn’t serious. Scott told me he would text me as soon as he knows something.”

I took a deep breath trying to calm my erratic heart, “Mom, I’m really sorry. I didn’t think that things were so serious.”

More like I hadn’t think about it.

I’d only been thinking about me. And Jason.

I was so selfish. I spent every second thinking how much time we had. Ashley had told me to stay put and I hadn’t even questioned it. It suited me. I didn’t think about the whole drama my parents were going through.

What if my parents actually wanted me home? What if my absence had make things worse with Grandma?

I felt like such a bad person…

“No. Don’t worry.” She sighed, “Her own stubbornness has made her sick. Still, I think you should be here. Your dad has already called Lieutenant Schmidt, I’m sure he already contacted Jason.” My eyes drifted to the door he’d just closed. “They’re trying to get everything ready so you can leave in a few hours.”

“Ok.”

“I’m calling Patty to let her know.” Her voice softened, “We’ll see you in a few hours, sweetie. I love you.”

“Yeah…ok…” I mumbled pathetically as my eyes trained on the floor. I could already feel tears burning my eyes. I closed them for a moment as we hung up.

My mind was in turmoil.

Scratch that. My whole body felt on edge.

“I’m sorry, Marianne…” My eyes snapped open at the sound of Jason’s dark voice. His grey eyes bored into mine for a moment. He looked troubled, torn and tense. My heart clenched and I bit my lip trying to contain the tears at bay. “We’re leaving in a few hours,” hesitantly, he took a step forward and started to gather all his clothes, “I have to get everything ready…”