AUTHOR'S NOTE

I wanted to participate in the 2021 ONC, but unfortunately I had trouble outlining a story even though a few prompts had inspired me. In the end, I decided not to enter because I didn't want to rush my creative process -- apparently, my writing is complete crap when under pressure.

When I started reading the prompts for the 2022 ONC, a few jumped out at me. But one prompt intrigued me and led my mind to quickly create characters and a plot. Even though I have a million and one things on my to-do list, I decided to ignore it for now and follow my creative mind to tell this fun short story. 

Prompt #52: Legend says only he who was fit to rule England could pull the sword from the stone

Prompt #52: Legend says only he who was fit to rule England could pull the sword from the stone. But the only one who manages to do so is a she.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I tweaked the prompt a teeny bit. I changed England to a fictional island called Moneres Islands and adjusted the setting from historical to present day (without the COVID vibes).

According to ancient legend on the Moneres Islands, "He who is fit to rule could pull the sword from the stone."

Is a short cute Korean girl from America fit to rule when she accidentally and drunkenly freed the decrepit blade in the dead of night? The answer is a resounding, "Oh hell no!"

Except the people of the islands, including the current king, take the outdated myth very seriously and are set on crowning me – Winter Copeland, a 26-year-old photographer from Wisconsin – the queen in thirty days.

While I'm safe from wearing clothes inspired by the Easter Bunny, I need to take crash course on how to behave like royalty. Apparently, queens don't host karaoke night, eat chocolate fudge ice cream on top of a chocolate chip cookie, or cite Jennifer Lopez as a major influence.

With my best friend, Philomena, by my side, I'm ready to slay the etiquette classes and boring history lessons while evading my super serious and super hot personal bodyguard and the soon-to-be ousted prince with a perpetual frown on his handsome face.

Some welcome the sudden royal change while others are determined to see me fail. Even I expect myself to fail on more than one occasion, but one thing I know for sure? Queens don't quit. They conquer.

 Copyright © 2022 by Chessa Andersen

All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by an information storage and retrieval system without permission in writing from the author.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.